Facts About Tennessee
Tennessee has three major regions, appropriately labeled East, Middle, and West Tennessee. Each of these three regions contains a major metropolitan area: East TN has Knoxville; Middle TN has Nashville; and West TN has Memphis. Smaller secondary cities play important regional economic roles as well. These major economic centers, combined with a variety of economic outputs, result in Tennessee being in the top 10 for best economic outlook in 2017, according to the American Legislative Exchange Council.
As of April 2018, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that Tennessee had a civilian labor workforce of more than 3.2 million, and a relatively low unemployment rate of 3.4%. In May 2017, the BLS stated that the average hourly wage for Tennessee workers was $20.94.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
According to America's Career InfoNet (www.careerinfonet.org), the following employers, which all have between 6,000 (Gaylord Opryland Resort) and 35,000 (HCA Healthcare) employees, represent just some of the many large employers in the state of Tennessee. Many of these organizations are located in Nashville:
- HCA Healthcare Inc.
- Vanderbilt University
- Methodist University Hospital
- Knox County Schools Inc.
- Claiborne Medical Center
- Eastman Chemical Co.
- St. Thomas Medical Partners
- Nissan North America Inc.
- Gaylord Opryland Resort-Convention
Healthcare occupations top the list for the fastest-growing careers in the Volunteer State. According to the TN Department of Labor and Workforce Development (www.tennessee.gov), the following list represents a projection of top ten fastest-growing occupations in the state of Tennessee through 2024:
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Occupational Therapy Aides
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Nurse Midwives
- Physical Therapist Aides
- Tax Preparers
- Physical Therapists
- Home Health Aides
- Ambulance Drivers and Attendants, Except Emergency Medical Technicians
- Interpreters and Translators