Top 5 Schools to Get a Free College Education

Jan 02, 2019

1. The College of the Ozarks

The College of the Ozarks is in Point Lookout, Missouri. The top-ranked school offers 31 different majors and has an interesting work program that allows students to trade 15 hours of work per week for program tuition. Students must pay for room and board as well as books, but save more than $15,000 in annual tuition costs. Students who demonstrate the greatest financial need make up 90 percent each entering class; the remaining 10 percent are required to demonstrate a high level of academic achievement.

2. Berea College

Located just south of Lexington, Kentucky, Berea College is a liberal arts college for students with limited financial resources. This does not mean that grades are not considered, but acceptance is generally based on income bracket versus academic prowess. The school offers free tuition to all students; however, students are expected to put in 10 to 15 hours at one of Berea's 130 labor departments. Jobs range from food service to academic research.

3. The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art

The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, located in New York City, is an undergraduate institution offering degrees in art, architecture, and engineering. All students are awarded on merit rather than financial need, and each enrolled student receives a full scholarship. The scholarship covers all tuition and tuition related costs, but students are required to pay mandatory student fees, room and board, and general living expenses.

4. Webb Institute

Webb Institute is an undergraduate college located on New York's Long Island Sound. The school only offers one degree option, a double major in Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture. Students must pay for room and board, books, and drafting supplies, but tuition is absolutely free. Admissions are competitive; however, Webb prides itself on looking at the whole person versus just SAT scores and high school transcripts.

5. Deep Springs College

Located in California's High Desert, Deep Springs College is yet another liberal arts college. This one is a bit different though. It is open to male students only. The school is small and accepts less than 30 students at a time, but it offers a quality education. Students who are accepted attend the school free of charge for two years; however, they are expected to perform manual labor and help run the college's cattle herd and alfalfa farm.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The schools in the listing below are not free and may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users. Tuition and costs will vary across programs and locations. Be sure to always request tuition information before starting a program.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?