Three of the highest ranked schools for graduate accounting programs are the University of Texas, the University of Pennsylvania and Indiana University.
These three schools for earning graduate degrees in accounting are also three of the highest ranked schools in this subject, according to U.S. News & World Report in 2017. Texas offers a professional accounting degree, while Pennsylvania offers MBA and Ph.D. programs in the field.
University of Texas at Austin
|School Highlight: 97% of 2015 graduates found employment or job offers before graduation.|
The University of Texas (UT) at Austin was ranked as the top school on U.S. News & World Report's 2017 list of the best graduate accounting schools in America. These graduates tend to find work in public accounting and eventually move on to become controllers, financial officers or executives.
University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia
|School Highlight: Financial accounting courses can be taken online during the summer.|
Penn's Wharton School offers Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Ph.D. programs in accounting. The MBA program prepares students to collect and organize financial data, in addition to communicating that data to employees, shareholders, regulatory agencies, tax agencies and the general public. The Ph.D. program is meant for students who are interested in becoming academic researchers. The school tied for second on U.S. News & World Report's 2017 list of the best graduate accounting schools in America.
Indiana University in Indianapolis, IN
|School Highlight: About one-third of the entrants into the accounting graduate program come without a degree in business.|
Indiana University ranked #11 on U.S. News & World Report's 2017 list of the best graduate accounting schools in America. The school's MS in accounting program prepares students for careers that include corporate accounting, financial planning and tax preparation and advising. Students may take evening courses and gain experience at public and private firms in Indianapolis. The school also offers a fast track to CPA course.
Top Accounting Graduate Programs
Other top accounting graduate programs include:
- Located in East Lansing, MI, Michigan State University's managerial accounting department has been consistently ranked first in the nation by researchers at Brigham Young University, according to Issues in Accounting Education.
- U.S. News & World Report ranks New York University in New York, NY, #8 on the list of best graduate accounting schools.
- 95% of graduates from Ohio State University's Fisher College of Business in Columbus, OH, are hired within three months of graduation.
- At the University of California in Berkeley, CA, students have access to the Institute for Business Innovation, the Institute for Business & Social Impact, and the Center for Financial Reporting and Management, among others.
- In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of Illinois in Champaign, IL, #4 on its list of best graduate accounting schools.
- The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI, in ranked #5 on U.S. News & World Report's 2017 list of best schools with graduate accounting programs.
- Located in in Seattle, WA, the University of Washington's graduate degree program in accounting ranked #1 in the northwest and #27 nationwide on U.S. News & World Report's 2017 list.
Students at the nation's top universities for graduate accounting programs have options to consider that include training in different areas, access to resources and online availability.