School and Ranking Info
Future accountants and financiers in Albuquerque, NM, can find programs at eight colleges and universities; half of these are for-profit institutions. The two public institutions include a national university that offers both undergraduate and graduate programs in accounting and finance, as well as opportunities to intern, travel and engage with peers in relevant extracurricular activities.
- Winner: The University of New Mexico in Albuquerque is a Carnegie-classified research school, the only designated Hispanic-serving postsecondary institution in the country to enjoy this distinction. Programs for aspiring accounting and finance students can lead to a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Master of Accountancy. Successful completion of an accounting program can help students qualify for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam and state licensure.
School Info Chart
|Category||University of New Mexico - Main Campus|
|Rankings||#189 among National Universities (2015);
#106 among Top Public Schools (2015);
#133 among Best Undergraduate Business Programs (2014);
#168 among Part-Time MBA Programs (2014)*
|School Type||4-year; public|
|Tuition and Fees (2013-2014)|| Undergraduate:
|Accounting and Business Administration Degrees Offered||Bachelor's and master's|
|Accounting and Business Administration Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||752**|
|Most Popular Accounting and Business Administration Program in 2012-2013||Bachelor's in business administration (473 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||48%**|
|Noteworthy||Robert O. Anderson School of Management is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report; **NCES College Navigator.
University of New Mexico - Main Campus
- Anderson School of Management provides opportunities for internships
- Interdisciplinary study abroad has included China, Italy and Mexico
- MBA in Accounting program offers a CPA exam review course
- Relevant extracurricular activities include the Beta Alpha Psi Honors Fraternity for Financial Information Professionals and the Institute of Management Accountants
The University of New Mexico (UNM) has locations in Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Los Alamos, Valencia and Taos. At UNM's Anderson School of Management, BBA students can choose from among 12 concentrations; along with the MBA, a combined BBA/Master of Accounting program is also available.
Undergraduates in the BBA in Accounting or Financial Management programs complete ten core courses in financial, operations and strategic management; computer technology; managerial accounting and organizational behavior. Coursework for the concentration takes place during the junior and senior years and can include topics in cost, financial and income tax accounting or financial analysis, investments and markets, depending on the major.
Graduate students in the MBA in Accounting program complete a business core and an additional 12 credits in governmental or nonprofit accounting, corporate or real estate taxation, auditing or law, among other related topics. The Master of Accounting program offers four different tracks, including three for graduates with a BBA in Accounting, as well as a professional track for applicants who majored in another field.