School and Ranking Information
Most of the schools in and within 25 miles of Louisville, KY, that have business management programs are for-profit institutions. The following are considered the top three schools in the region, based on school type, number of degrees awarded and graduation rates:
- Winner: The University of Louisville claims the top spot because it is the only nationally ranked school and the only public institution located directly in the city that offers undergraduate and graduate business management programs. It also earns this spot because it offers by far the highest number of degrees in this field of study and has the highest graduation rate.
- Runner Up #1: Unranked Ottawa University - Jeffersonville is in second place because of its low student-to-faculty ratio and online program availability. The school has a bachelor's and a master's degree program in business management.
- Runner Up #2: Also unranked, Jefferson Community and Technical College comes in as the second runner up because of its levels of study and lower graduation rate. The college grants the second-highest number of business management awards, though at the certificate and associate's degree levels. It also has the lowest tuition of the three schools.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Louisville||Ottawa University - Jeffersonville||Jefferson Community and Technical College|
|Ranking(s)|| 160th among national universities in 2013;
87th among top public national universities in 2013;
83rd among top business schools with part-time MBA programs in 2013, nationwide*
|Location||Louisville, KY||Jeffersonville, IN (3.6 miles from Louisville)||Louisville, KY|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $9,662 (undergraduate, in-state),
$23,146 (undergraduate, out-of-state);
$10,470 (graduate, in-state),
$21,574 (graduate, out-of-state)**
| $10,300 (undergraduate);
| $3,440 (undergraduate, in-state),
$11,840 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|Business Management Program Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Certificates and associate's degrees|
|Business Management Certificates and Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||574**||26**||200**|
|Most Popular Business Management Program (2011-2012)||Master's in Business/Commerce (117 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Business Administration and Management (18 awarded)**||Certificate in Business Administration and Management, General (148 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time)||52% (for 2006 entering class)**||N/A||15% (for 2009 entering class)**|
|Noteworthy||Accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)||Offers business administration bachelor's and master's programs entirely online||Students complete a business internship or co-op for elective credit|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Actuarial Sciences
- Business and Commerce, General
- Business Statistics
- Customer Service Management
- Logistics, Distribution, and Materials Management
- Management Science
- Office Management
- Operations Management
- Public and Nonprofit Organizational Management
- Purchases, Acquisitions, and Contracts Management
- Transportation Management
Winner: University of Louisville
- Ranked 87th nationally among schools with undergraduate business programs by U.S. News & World Report
- 13-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio, according to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
- Study abroad opportunities are available
- The College of Business hosts business competitions for students
The University of Louisville offers Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degrees in accountancy, computer information systems, economics, entrepreneurship, finance, marketing and equine business. Students enrolled in these programs take six core business courses, including two management courses, along with required and elective courses in the degree concentration area. Additionally, this school offers minors in business administration and business essentials.
Graduate business management programs at the University of Louisville include the part-time or full-time Master of Business Administration (MBA) and MBA in Entrepreneurship degree programs. The MBA program can also be completed jointly with a degree in medicine, engineering, law or humanities. The school sponsors an annual international trip for MBA students to learn about business in other countries. Additionally, a PhD in Entrepreneurship program is available that provides students with opportunities to act as research assistants and teach.
Runner-Up #1: Ottawa University - Jeffersonville
- 9-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio, according to the NCES
- Offers flexible on-campus and online programs for adults
- Affiliated with the Baptist Church
The Jeffersonville campus of Ottawa University is a non-residential campus geared toward adult learners. The Angell Snyder School of Business at OU offers programs on campus and online, including the Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration (BABA). Students enrolled in the BABA program can choose from 11 concentrations, including management, health care management and social enterprise management. Business administration courses cover accounting, economics, business ethics, law, management, business statistics and organizational communication. Students also complete a capstone in which they formulate business strategies.
Graduate students can pursue an on-campus or online MBA degree. This campus offers five concentration areas for the MBA, including leadership and management. MBA courses cover subjects like marketing, finance, management and accounting. Students also complete a capstone course in business policies and strategy.
Runner-Up #2: Jefferson Community and Technical College
- 12-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio, according to the NCES
- The school's business division has roughly 14 full-time faculty members
- Some online courses are available
Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) offers an Associate in Applied Science in Business Administration Systems - Management Option. This degree program includes core courses in business communications technology, management, marketing, accounting and business law. Business management courses include financial management, applied management and quality systems. Students also take business and technical electives, with the option to do an internship or co-op for credit.
The school also offers diploma programs in organizational leadership and small business management. Certificates are available in both basic and advanced business administration, supervisory management, leadership, small business management, management, entrepreneurship and general business.