Family and consumer sciences is a highly interdisciplinary field; students in these programs can take courses in nutrition, parenting and workforce education, as well as merchandising and interior design, among other subjects. These programs may lead to a bachelor's or master's degree.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Apparel and Textile Manufacturing
- Apparel and Textile Marketing Management
- Consumer Economics
- Consumer Services
- Fabric and Fashion Specialist
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Family Resource Management Studies
- Human Sciences Communication
- Retail Management and Merchandising
The four notable schools below were nationally or regionally ranked by U.S. News & World Report for 2017. All four schools offer undergraduate programs in family and consumer science; students at the University of Idaho and California State University can earn a master's degree in the same field of study.
The University of Georgia in Athens, GA
|School Highlight: Family and consumer sciences students at the University of Georgia can take courses in consumer economics, textiles and merchandising.|
The University of Georgia (UG) ranked 56th among national universities and 18th among top public schools, according to U.S. News & World Report in 2017. The College of Family and Consumer Sciences and the College of Education offer a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Family and Consumer Sciences Education. Graduates of this program are eligible for a teaching certificate, after which they can provide instruction in nutrition, parenting or consumer education for students in grades 7-12. Courses include topics in food principals, housing in contemporary society and curriculum planning in workforce education.
Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN
|School Highlight: Purdue University's College of Health and Human Sciences offers over 25 undergraduate majors.|
Purdue University is a research university that ranked 60th on the U.S. News & World Report lists of national universities and 20th among top public schools in 2017. The College of Health and Human Sciences and the College of Education offer a B.S. in Family and Consumer Science Education. Students in this program take courses in social sciences, textiles and nutrition, in order to prepare for careers as family and consumer sciences teachers at the middle and high school levels.
The University of Idaho in Moscow, ID
|School Highlight: The University of Idaho sponsors over 100 student organizations.|
The University of Idaho (UI) offers a Master of Science (M.S.) in Family and Consumer Sciences, co-administered by the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Once enrolled, undergraduates study the history of family and consumer sciences and conduct an independent research project, which may include topics in child care practices or hunger. The M.S. in Family and Consumer Sciences program prepares students for careers as food and nutrition instructors, financial planners or child care directors. The school was tied for #90 among the best public schools in the country, per U.S. News & World Report in 2017.
California State University, Northridge in Northridge, CA
|School Highlight: The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences program offers courses in apparel design, merchandising and interior design.|
The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) at Cal State Northridge offers six undergraduate majors: Apparel Design & Merchandising, Consumer Affairs, FCS Education, Family Studies, Interior Design and Nutrition, Dietetics & Food Science. There are also two broader graduate-level options in Apparel Design & Merchandising and Consumer Affairs & Family Studies. For 2017, the school was ranked #68 among regional universities in the West.
Top Family and Consumer Sciences Schools in the U.S.
Here are some more universities with relevant programs in the FCS field:
- Colorado State University in Fort Collins, CO, is the only 4-year land-grant institution of higher education in Colorado offering a degree program in family and consumer sciences.
- At Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, KY, the family and consumer sciences program includes student teaching experiences at the middle and high school levels.
- At New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, NM, the family and consumer sciences program offers courses in hotel, restaurant and tourism management.
- At North Carolina Central University in Durham, NC, graduate programs allow for a focus in teaching, textiles, nutrition, human development or health promotion.
- At the University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, MO, family and consumer science students have the opportunity to take on campus classes, online classes or campus-online hybrid classes.
- Utah State University in Logan, UT, offers 5 different undergraduate majors through their department of Family, Consumer and Human Development.
Students who want to study family and consumer sciences can find comprehensive programs in the field, as well as programs that allow for concentration on a specific subtopic. Both undergraduate and graduate-level programs are available.