School and Ranking Info
There are just two schools located within 15 miles of Knoxville, TN, that offer programs in computer animation. However, students who are willing to travel can find a professionally accredited digital media program at a public university in Johnson City, TN, which is approximately 110 miles away from Knoxville.
- Winner: East Tennessee State University is located in Northeastern Tennessee, near the borders of North Carolina and Virginia. Through the College of Business and Technology, students can earn a Bachelor of Science in Digital Media and a Master of Arts in New Media Studio; an undergraduate minor in digital media is also available.
School Info Chart
|Category||East Tennessee State University|
|Rankings||#153 among Best Graduate Fine Arts Schools (2014)*|
|Location||Johnson City, TN|
|School Type||4-year; public|
|Tuition and Fees (2013-2014)||Undergraduate: $7,429 (in-state); $22,561 (out-of-state)**|
|Computer Animation Degrees Offered||Bachelor's and master's|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||41%**|
|Noteworthy||The National Association of Schools of Art and Design accredits the Bachelor of Science in Digital Media program|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report; **NCES College Navigator.
East Tennessee State University
- Scholarships for digital media students
- Digital media majors participate in a senior portfolio exhibition
- Annual Blue Plum Animation Festival, co-sponsored by the digital media program
- Career Services at the College of Business and Technology offers special events and opportunities for real-life experience
East Tennessee State University enrolls nearly 14,700 students a year in 11 colleges and schools. These include the College of Business and Technology, home to the Department of Engineering Technology, Surveying and Digital Media. While earning their degrees, digital media students can attend career affairs, hear guest speakers or network at alumni parties. Through the Career Services office, aspiring professionals can also obtain internships, participate in cooperative education experiences or shadow digital media professionals.
Undergraduates enrolled in the BS in Digital Media program complete core coursework in raster- and vector-based imaging, 2-D design, color and visual thinking, among other related topics. Those who decide to concentrate in digital animation take additional courses in 3-D and character animation, acting, drawing and motion production. Similar coursework can be found in the 24-credit minor in digital media. Graduate students in the 33-credit Master of Arts in New Media Studio program can pursue an individualized course of study that may include advanced training in 3-D animation, digital illustration, image editing and special effects.