School and Ranking Information
Most of the schools near Duluth that offer programs in information technology are private, for-profit, but there are a couple of public universities as well. Based on regional school ranking and computing internship opportunities, the following school is considered a top school for information technology in the area:
- Winner: Southern Polytechnic State University became a 4-year school in 1970, and it's located in Marietta, Georgia. It offers a Bachelor of Applied Science in Information Technology, a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, a Master of Science in Information Technology and two certificate programs in Information Security and Assurance and Health Information Technology.
|Category||Southern Polytechnic State University|
|Rankings||#25 Best Online Graduate Computer Information Technology Programs (2014)**|
|Location||Marietta, GA (approximately 22 miles from Duluth)|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||$5,732 (in-state); $16,760 (out-of-state)*|
|Information Technology Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, Master's, Certificates|
|Information Technology Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||100*|
|Information Technology Degree Program Level in 2012-2013||Master's (48 awarded)*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||37%*|
|Noteworthy||All programs in information technology can be completed online***|
Source: *NCES College Navigator, **U.S. News & World Report, ***Southern Polytechnic State University
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Computer and Information Support Services, Other
- Information Science and Studies General
- Information Technology
- Robotics and Artificial Intelligence
Southern Polytechnic State University
- Those interested in taking graduate-level courses in information technology have several certificate programs to choose from, and they don't have to commit to a master's program
- Students have access to many student organizations, such as the Southern Polytechnic Information Security Association and the Association for Computing Machinery
- IT capstone course lets students develop a real-world IT solution, which will be evaluated by faculty members and Industrial Advisory Board members.
Accredited by the Technical Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Southern Polytechnic State University has IT programs with high-quality curricula. There are several computing internships available, giving students the chance to earn academic credit. As of 2013, the school has a student population of 6,549.
The university offers a Bachelor of Applied Science in Information Technology, which typically takes 2 years to finish. Students can finish this program online, and they can take courses in databases, Web development and professional ethics. A Bachelor of Science in Information Technology offers courses in data communications, electronic commerce and information security. Seniors complete a capstone course. The Master of Science in Information Technology offers core elective courses in policy and strategy, service delivery and design. The program requires 15 hours of core courses.
Students can also take certificate programs in Information Security and Assurance and Health Information Technology. Courses in the first certificate program include security administration, ethical hacking, computer forensics and database auditing. The Health Information Technology program requires 15 credit hours. Core topics include healthcare information security and clinical processes.