School and Ranking Information
Students interested in a criminal justice program in Honolulu have six schools to choose from. The following three were determined to be the best in the area based on program variety, graduation rate, and rankings.
- Winner: Chaminade University of Honolulu was ranked 86th among Regional Universities in the West by U.S. News & World Report in 2013. This school also awarded the most criminal justice degrees in the area in 2011-2012 and offers programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Runner-Up #1: Hawaii Pacific University is another top school for its 81st place ranking among Regional Universities in the West. It offers both associate and bachelor's degree programs in the field.
- Runner-Up #2: The Honolulu branch of Remington College also awards associate and bachelor's degrees in criminal justice and has one of the highest graduation rates among area schools.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Chaminade University of Honolulu||Hawaii Pacific University||Remington College - Honolulu Campus|
|Ranking (2013)||86th among Regional Universities (West)*||81st among Regional Universities (West)*||N/A|
|Location||Honolulu, HI||Honolulu, HI||Honolulu, HI|
|School Type||Four-year, private not-for-profit||Four-year, private not-for-profit||Four-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $19,330 (undergraduate)
|$18,600 (undergraduate)**||$16,140 (undergraduate)**|
|Criminal Justice Degree Levels Offered||Associate, bachelor's, master's||Associate, bachelor's||Associate, bachelor's|
|Criminal Justice Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||124**||58**||93**|
|Most Popular Criminal Justice Program in 2011-2012||Bachelor's (42 awarded)**||Bachelor's (52 awarded)**||Associate (83 awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2005 Entering Class||38%**||39%**||53%**|
|Noteworthy||Students can pursue a pre-law track in the undergraduate criminal justice program||Internships and cooperative work experiences are available through the Career Services Center||The criminal justice department offers opportunities to tour various criminal justice agencies and brings in guest speakers|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: Chaminade University of Honolulu
- Chaminade's criminal justice program is the state's largest
- Criminal justice program emphasizes hands-on training through fieldwork, mock crime scene analyses, and internships
- All adjunct faculty members in the department hold positions in the criminal justice field
Founded in 1955, Chaminade University of Honolulu is the only Catholic institution in Hawaii. Students can earn an associate, bachelor's, or master's degree in criminal justice through the school's Division of Behavioral Sciences.
The 60-credit associate degree program in criminology and criminal justice is designed to give students a strong understanding of the American justice system and prepare them for entry-level employment in the field. Coursework covers criminology, crime scene investigation, and juvenile justice. The bachelor's degree program includes additional courses in criminal law, juvenile deviancy, ethics, and law enforcement. Students can also pursue internships with various criminal justice organizations, including the FBI and customs agencies. The graduate-level program must be completed in five years and allows students to choose either a traditional criminal justice track or the homeland security leadership development option. Core classes for both tracks cover criminology, constitutional law, and criminal justice ethics.
Runner-Up #1: Hawaii Pacific University
- 94% of first-year undergraduate students received some form of financial aid in 2011-2012, according to the National Center for Education Statistics
- HPU's associate degree program in justice administration is offered in a traditional classroom format and online through Military Campus Programs (MCP)
Established in 1965, Hawaii Pacific University operates on two campuses on the island of Oahu as well as on seven military bases. The Associate of Arts in Justice Administration program is available to veterans as well as current members of the military and Department of Defense through the school's MCP, which holds classes on military bases and online. Curriculum for the 2-year 60-credit associate degree program covers topics including crime scene investigation, political systems, criminology, civil justice, and the courts.
The Bachelor of Arts in Justice Administration is available to all university students on the main campus. Students enrolled in this program learn about crime scene investigation and theory, justice management, criminal law, and corrections. Students also complete a service learning course that allows them to get experience working with the community.
Runner-Up #2: Remington College - Honolulu Campus
- Remington College hosts speakers from various Oahu criminal justice agencies, including the Honolulu Police Department
- The Honolulu Campus is located approximately five blocks from the Pacific Ocean
Established in 1985, Remington College's Honolulu location offers students six areas of study. Its associate and bachelor's degree programs in criminal justice combine hands-on training experiences with coursework. Students have the opportunity to perform fingerprint analyses and familiarize themselves with state-of-the-art equipment used in the field. Core curriculum for the associate degree program covers constitutional law, law enforcement operations, and forensic science. Coursework for the bachelor's degree program focuses on advanced topics, such as corrections, juvenile law, forensic psychology, security, and crime intelligence. Both the associate and bachelor's degree programs are also available online.