School and Ranking Information
Seventeen schools within a 10-mile radius of Phoenix, AZ, offer criminal justice programs. The top schools offering criminal justice degree programs in the area, as determined by graduation rankings, program offerings and school rankings, are:
- Winner: Arizona State University offers both bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in criminal justice. It takes the tops spot since the school is ranked among top national universities by U.S. News and World Report.
- Runner-Up #1: Ottawa University - Phoenix was ranked among regional universities by USNWR. It offers bachelor's degree programs in criminal justice.
- Runner-Up #2: Phoenix College offers associate degrees and certificates. It also has an honors program.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Arizona State University||Ottawa University - Phoenix||Phoenix College|
|Rankings (2013)|| 142nd for 2014 Top National Universities*,
73rd for 2014 National Top Public Schools*
|56th for 2014 Regional Universities (Midwest)*||N/A|
|Location||Tempe, AZ (8.0 miles from Phoenix)||Phoenix, AZ||Phoenix, AZ|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $9,724 (undergraduate, in-state)
$22,977 (undergraduate, out-of-state)
$10,517 (graduate, in-state)
$25,066 (graduate, out-of-state)**
| $10,960 (undergraduate)
| $1,854 (undergraduate, in-state)
$7,638 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|Criminal Justice Program Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's degrees||Less than 1-year certificates and associate's degrees|
|Criminal Justice Certificate and Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||439**||2**||72**|
|Most Popular Criminal Justice Program in 2011-2012||Bachelor's degree (382 awarded)**||Bachelor's degree (2 awarded)**||Less than 1-year certificate (38 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time)||57% (Fall 2006 Entering Class)**||N/A**||19% (Fall 2009 Entering Class)**|
|Noteworthy||The university is involved in green initiatives and sustainability efforts||Campuses located all over the country||Students here come from over 100 different countries|
Sources: *2013 U.S. News & World Report rankings, **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Corrections Admin
- Corrections, Probation, and Parole
- Criminal Justice and Safety Studies
- Criminal Science
- Forensic Science
- Juvenile Corrections
- Law Enforcement Administration
- Police Science and Law Enforcement
- Securities Services Mgmt
- Security and Theft Prevention Services
Winner: Arizona State University
- With the proper academic standing, students can join Alpha Phi Sigma, which is the criminal justice honor society.
- Criminal justice majors have a study abroad opportunity to visit Israel.
- Students can participate in criminal justice internships.
Arizona State University's Bachelor of Science in Criminology and Criminal Justice program can completed in person or online and it has a 7.5-week course format. There are daytime and evening class options available. For students who're looking for advanced education options, the school also offers a Master of Arts in Criminal Justice and a Master of Science in Criminal Justice. The first program can be completed online while the latter is offered on the campus. A Ph.D. in Criminology and Criminal Justice is also pursuable at Arizona State University. In this program, students are educated on criminal justice policy, research and theory.
Runner-Up #1: Ottawa University - Phoenix
- Online degree program options.
- Accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The Bachelor of Arts in Law Enforcement degree program can be completed at Ottawa University - Phoenix. Any classes that a student has already completed at a police academy can be applied towards this program. The program itself has an emphasis on issues like maintaining social order, meeting public needs and protecting individual rights. The major courses that have to be taken at this school include public safety supervision, race, crime and social policy, understanding criminal and human heavier and police responsibilities, ethics, liabilities and rights.
Runner-Up #2: Phoenix College
- The school has options for an honors program for academically inclined students.
- There is a Career Services Center on campus to help students prepare for employment.
- Transfer degrees are offered here.
Students at Phoenix College can earn their Associate in Applied Science in Administration of Justice on campus or entirely through online courses. Procedural criminal law, courtroom protocol, Constitutional law and criminology are all topics that are studied in that program. The administration of justice major also has certificate of completion options in fundamentals and comprehensive. An alternative criminal justice major at this school is the Associate in Applied Science in Forensic Technology. This program focuses on preserving and collecting physical evidence as well as the rules of evidence like the exclusionary rule and hearsay rules. The certificate of completions available for that major include options for fingerprint classification and identification, evidence technology, crime scene technology, crime scene investigation and crime and accident scene photography.