School and Ranking Information
Currently, the San Jose area only has three schools within a 100-mile radius for individuals who are interested in earning a degree in retail management and merchandising. Based on program offerings and graduation rates, the three schools are ranked as follows:
- Winner: San Joaquin Delta College offers associate's and certificate programs and has the highest graduation rate. It also offers a work experience program in retail management and merchandising.
- Runner-Up #1: Merced College only has the third largest graduation rate of all three profiled schools, but it does offer a Customer Service Academy that retail management and merchandising students might find useful. It offers certificates and associate's programs.
- Runner-Up #2: American River College offers an associate's degree as well as a certificate in management that can give students the skills and abilities necessary to become retail managers.
School Comparison Chart
|Categories||San Joaquin Delta College||Merced College||American River College|
|Location||Stockton, CA (roughly 53 miles from San Jose)||Merced, CA (77 miles from San Jose)||Sacramento, CA (approximately 94 miles from San Jose)|
|School Type||2-year, public||2-year, public||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $1,104 (in-state)*
| $1,138 (in-state)*
| $1,104 (in-state)*
|Retail Management and Merchandising Degree Levels Offered||Certificate and associate's degree||Certificate and associate's degree||Certificate and associate's degree|
|Retail Management and Merchandising Degrees and Certificates Awarded (all levels) in 2011-2012||9*||2*||3*|
|Most Popular Retail Management and Merchandising Program Level in 2011-2012||Associate's degree (9 awarded)*||Associate's degree (2 awarded)*||1- to < 2-year certificate (2 awarded)|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2008 Entering Class||25% (14% transfer-out rate)*||16% (9% transfer-out rate)*||22% (12% transfer-out rate)*|
|Noteworthy||The Work Experience Program allows students to earn 1 to 4 units of credit for every participating semester||The college features a Customer Service Academy||School offers management and leadership courses online|
Source: *NCES College Navigator
Winner: San Joaquin Delta College
- Students who have finished articulated high school courses can receive college credit
San Joaquin Delta College offers a certificate for merchandising in addition to a certificate in retail management. The work experience program will be offered in the Fall 2013 semester and requires that students be employed before they submit their application packet. While earning the Associate in Science in Retail Management and Merchandising degree, students will learn about the American legal system, bookkeeping, small business management and human relations. The idea behind the college credit for high school course program is to keep students from having to take similar courses so that they can move on from course to course and program to program.
Runner-Up #1: Merced College
- The college is a member of the national Collegiate Entrepreneur's Organization, which helps educate future entrepreneurs
- The Customer Service Academy curriculum can be delivered in the workplace
Instead of earning a degree or certificate, students have the option of taking management courses for professional development if they wish. Students learn about financial accounting, advertising and special topics in business while earning their associate's degree in merchandising management. While Merced College doesn't offer a retail management degree or certificate, they do offer a retail management course in their marketing program. Courses at the Customer Service Academy include conflict management, stress management, communicating with people and team building.
Runner-Up #2: American River College
- College offers several certificates in leadership
Even though American River College doesn't offer a retail management or merchandising degree or certificate, they do offer a management associate's degree and certificate in addition to a leadership degree and certificate that can be applied to retail management and merchandising. The Leadership in Action certificate programs include theory of knowledge/prediction, systems thinking, psychology and team facilitation as well as variation and statistics.