School and Ranking Information
Three schools offer programs in respiratory therapy in Las Vegas, including one non-profit and two for-profit institutions. In the state of Nevada, respiratory therapists must be licensed. All three schools below have respiratory care therapy programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care that qualify graduates for the licensure exam. The schools are ranked based on their tuition and graduation rates and the number of degrees they've recently awarded in respiratory therapy.
- Winner: Pima Medical Institute - Las Vegas is the top school, since it has a lower tuition rate than the next school on this list. It also has the second highest graduation rate and awarded the second most respiratory therapy degrees in recent years.
- Runner-Up #1: Carrington College - Las Vegas has a higher graduation rate and more degrees awarded than Pima Medical Institute, but it takes the first runner-up slot due to its significantly higher tuition rate.
- Runner-Up #2: College of Southern Nevada, the sole public school of these three, has the lowest tuition of all. It awarded far fewer degrees in the field in recent years, though, putting it in the second runner-up spot.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Pima Medical Institute - Las Vegas||Carrington College - Las Vegas||College of Southern Nevada|
|Location||Las Vegas, NV||Las Vegas, NV||Las Vegas, NV|
|School Type||2-year, private for-profit||2-year, private for-profit||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$31,860 (for 24-month program)*||$40,260 (for 24-month program)*||$2,700 (in-state, per year), $9,345 (out-of-state, per year)*|
|Respiratory Therapy Programs Offered||Associate's degree||Associate's degree||Associate's degree|
|Respiratory Therapy Degrees Awarded in 2011-2012||48*||54*||8*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time)||57% (2009 Entering Class)*||62% (2009 Entering Class)*||9% (2006 Entering Class)*|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator
Winner: Pima Medical Institute - Las Vegas
- Program offers hand-on experience in local medical offices
- Respiratory care program can be completed in 21 months
Pima Medical Institute - Las Vegas offers an occupational associate's degree program in respiratory therapy. Courses examine critical care techniques, cardiopulmonary diseases and emergency care. In addition to courses, students also complete three practicum experiences in respiratory care. The program includes a total of 2,061 hours of training and includes a class on Nevada history.
Runner-Up #1: Carrington College - Las Vegas
- School has highest graduation rate among local options, per NCES statistics
Carrington College - Las Vegas administers a respiratory care program that culminates in an associate's degree. Students enrolled in this program will study how to correctly administer oxygen therapy, perform examinations and treat cardiopulmonary diseases. This program combines lectures and labs with hands-on experience, through a simulation lab and clinical experience, to provide students with a comprehensive experience.
Runner-Up #2: College of Southern Nevada
- The program only admits 25 students and requires prerequisite coursework
- Features the lowest tuition and fees for 2012-2013 at $2,700 per year for in-state tuition, according to NCES
The College of Southern Nevada provides an 87-credit respiratory science program that leads to an Associate of Applied Science. Courses of study include advanced concepts of neonatal and pediatric equipment, diagnostic equipment and cardiorespiratory pharmacology. In addition to coursework, students complete four practicum experiences. Upon graduation, students can obtain credentials from the American Heart Association and Cardiovascular Credentialing International.