Many highly-rated schools across the country offer entrepreneurship programs at the undergraduate and graduate degree levels.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Small Business Management and Operations
Entrepreneurship is a specialized area of business that prepares students to own and operate various types of companies. It is possible to specialize in entrepreneurial studies at both the undergraduate level and the graduate level.
The three schools described below have bachelor's degree programs targeted toward this field of study. The University of Pennsylvania and Baylor University also offer MBA programs. A PhD is available at Baylor. These schools are highly ranked for entrepreneurship by U.S. News & World Report. An additional list of other good college options for aspiring entrepreneurs is also provided.
Babson College in Wellesley, Massachusetts
|School Highlight: 80 different entrepreneurship courses are offered at Babson.|
Located in Wellesley, Massachusetts, Babson College was the first academic institution in the world to offer entrepreneurship classes. For 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Babson the top undergraduate entrepreneurship school in the country. At the Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurship, students' business ideas can take advantage of hatcheries and accelerators that are structured to getting a business operating and to grow it.
University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia
|School Highlight: The Wharton School of Business houses The Sol C. Snider Entrepreneurial Research Center, which is the first of its kind.|
The University of Pennsylvania (Penn) has the third best undergraduate entrepreneurship program in America, according to U.S. News & World Report's 2017 list of the best undergraduate entrepreneurship schools. All undergraduate students at Penn's business school, called Wharton, earn a Bachelor of Science in Economics, but students can choose from among more than 20 concentrations of study. Among these is a management concentration, which offers a specialization in entrepreneurship and innovation. Wharton's MBA program also includes an entrepreneurship specialization.
The philosophy behind Wharton's program is that an education in entrepreneurship prepares students for careers not only in entrepreneurship, but also consulting, investment banking, private equity, corporate venturing, and intrapreneurship (entrepreneurial innovation within an existing company).
Baylor University in Waco, TX
|School Highlight: The John F. Baugh Center for Entrepreneurship and Free Enterprise offers internship, mentor and study abroad options as well as a new venture competition.|
Baylor University has the ninth best undergraduate entrepreneurship program in America, according to U.S. News & World Report's 2017 list of the best undergraduate entrepreneurship schools. The school offers bachelor's, MBA and doctoral degrees in entrepreneurship. The bachelor's program offers a social entrepreneurship track. The MBA in Entrepreneurship offers two areas of study: new venture creation and corporate entrepreneurship. The PhD program is research-based and allows students to generate and publish research.
Top Entrepreneurship Programs
The following schools also have top entrepreneurship programs.
- Located in Pittsburgh, PA, Carnegie Mellon University's Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship takes an interdisciplinary approach and was one of the first to offer entrepreneurship education.
- Located in Chicago, IL, DePaul University's entrepreneurial programs, now offered through the school's Coleman Entrepreneurship Center, have been highly ranked by several publications.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, MA, offers programs that include an entrepreneurship and innovation track within the MBA degree and a Regional Entrepreneurship Accelerated Program (REAP).
- Located in Tucson, AZ, University of Arizona's McGuire Entrepreneurship Program was ranked seventh by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
- Located in Berkeley, CA, the University of California's Lester Center for Entrepreneurship is home to one of the National Science Foundation's three Innovation Corps 'nodes'.
- Located in Louisville, KY, the University of Louisville's College of Business offers a minor, an MBA and a Ph.D. in entrepreneurship.
- At the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI, training, facilities, grants, networking and mentoring are available through the Student Startup Accelerator, 'TechArb'.
Students looking for entrepreneurship programs at some of the nation's highest ranked schools can find many options, including different program tracks, concentrations, specializations and access to resources. Schools may also offer mentoring and training opportunities.