Students interested in studying environmental policy and management can find degree programs at several top-ranking universities. Explore a handful of these schools and learn what makes their programs unique.
Degree programs in environmental policy and management, such as those offered by the highly ranked University of California Berkeley, Yale University, Syracuse University and Columbia University, typically lead to a master's or a doctoral degree. Course topics include risk analysis, environmental science and ecosystem function. Learn about these U.S. News & World Report and Forbes top-ranking institutions and the programs they offer in the field.
The University of California, Berkeley
|School Highlight: The University of California in Berkeley (UC Berkeley) is a public institution that U.S. News & World Report ranked 20th among national universities in 2017.|
UC Berkeley's Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management offers a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Environmental Science, Policy and Management. Once enrolled in the program, students take three core courses, including a research methods course, an environmental forum and a colloquium. Areas of specialization include ecosystem function, forest management and Mediterranean grassland ecosystems. Students must also pass a qualifying exam and write a dissertation.
Yale University in New Haven, CT
|School Highlight: Yale University is an Ivy League school that Forbes ranked 6th on its list of 'America's Top Colleges' for 2016.|
The Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies offers a Master of Environmental Management with a specialization in environmental policy analysis. The program is designed for students seeking careers in transnational environmental organizations, public agencies and consulting firms. In addition to required studies in ecosystems and landscapes and environmental management physical science, students complete specialized coursework in statistics, green markets, economics and environmental policy.
Syracuse University in Syracuse, NY
|School Highlight: Syracuse University (SU) is a private college that U.S. News & World Report ranked 60th on its list of top national universities for 2017.|
The Department of Public Administration and International Affairs offers a Ph.D. in Public Administration with a specialization in environmental policy and administration. Specialized coursework includes topics in environmental policy economics and transnational environmental politics. Additionally, students complete a second specialization in social policy, public management or developmental policy, among other related areas.
Columbia University in New York, NY
|School Highlight: The Master of Public Administration in Environmental Science and Policy provides students with practical experience in environmental policy.|
Columbia ties for 5th amongst U.S. News & World Report's top national universities for 2017. The school's Master of Public Administration in Environmental Science and Policy is a one-year program that covers various topics, including environmental chemistry, applied earth systems management and financial management. Throughout the program students practice work skills like report writing and project management.
Top Environmental Policy and Management Programs
Here we will discuss some additional top institutions offering programs in the field.
- Harvard University is situated in Cambridge, MA. Harvard's graduate program in environmental studies offers courses on environmental management, land management and risk management.
- Indiana University in Bloomington is home to the School of Public and Environmental Affairs that offers programs at the Bloomington campus and in Indianapolis.
- John Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD, offers a Master of Science in Environmental Sciences and Policy program with a flexible curriculum.
- Portland State University in Portland, OR, offers an undergraduate environmental science and management program with two areas of emphasis.
- The University of Denver in Colorado has an environmental policy and management program that provides students with an education that fosters innovation to spark change.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill includes environmental policy as part of the Public Policy department at the graduate level.
Degree programs in environmental policy and management are most commonly available as graduate programs at top national institutions, such as Yale University, but some undergraduate programs exist. These top-ranking schools' programs are marked by distinct characteristics that separate them from other institutions.