School and Ranking Information
The Denver region has just one public or private not-for-profit school with a fashion merchandising program. A for-profit school in the area also has a program, but for-profit schools were not considered in these rankings. Marketing programs have the most comparable curriculum, so this list will include top public or private not-for-profit schools in that field as well. Furthermore, take note that the marketing programs profiled below don't have courses in fashion merchandising.
- Winner: Johnson and Wales University - Denver (JWU) is the top pick because it has a comprehensive fashion merchandising program, and it offers a study abroad course. It offers bachelor's degrees.
- Runner-Up #1: The University of Denver has diverse program offerings and is ranked among top national universities by U.S. News and World Report. It offers bachelor's, master's and graduate certificate programs.
- Runner-Up #2: The University of Colorado - Denver (UCD) offers bachelor's and master's degrees and is also ranked among national universities.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Johnson and Wales University - Denver||University of Denver||University of Colorado - Denver|
|Rankings||N/A||#38 in 'Top National Universities' in 2013*||#189 in 'Top National Universities' in 2013*|
|Location||Denver, CO||Denver, CO||Denver, CO|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$26,412 (undergraduate)**||$39,177 (undergraduate), $38,526 (graduate)**||$7,494 (undergraduate, in-state), $21,006 (undergraduate, out-of-state), $7,358 (graduate, in-state), $20,676 (graduate, out-of-state)**|
|Fashion Merchandising/Marketing Degrees Offered||Bachelor's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees; graduate certificates||Bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Fashion Merchandising/Marketing Degrees Awarded (All Levels) (2011-2012)||7 (in fashion merchandising)**||105 (in marketing/marketing management, general) (does not include graduate certificates)**||17 (in marketing/marketing management, general) (does not include undergraduate business degrees with major in marketing)**|
|Most Popular Fashion Merchandising/Marketing Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's degree in fashion merchandising (7 awarded)**||Bachelor's degree in marketing/marketing management, general (74 awarded)**||Master's degree in marketing/marketing management, general (17 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||54%**||78%**||40%**|
|Noteworthy||Students can complete a second optional internship after the first required one||Marketing Roundtable hosts industry professionals and raises funds for student scholarships and research||Marketing faculty contributes to academic journals|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator.
Winner: Johnson and Wales University - Denver
- The fashion merchandising program includes an internship that lasts one term with multiple host locations; students have interned with companies like Hollister and Anthropologie
- The fashion club, CatWalk, hosts an annual couture fashion show called DiverCity
JWU offers a Bachelor of Science in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Marketing program. The curriculum encompasses lessons on manufacturing, marketing, textiles, buying and global fashion. Additionally, the coursework includes a business component that incorporates accounting, information technology and business law. Fashion merchandising majors also choose from a variety of elective courses, including visual merchandising, forecasting and branding. The required internship can be completed in Denver or in a different major city: Miami, Providence or Charlotte. Students also have the opportunity to study fashion merchandising and retail management in an international market with the summer study abroad program in Milan, Italy. Graduates can seek mid- to high-level positions within fashion merchandising and retail.
Runner-Up #1: University of Denver
- Ranked #65 in 'Top National Online Graduate Business Programs' and #86 in 'Top National Part-time MBA Programs' by U.S. News & World Report in 2013
- Accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- The Global Opportunities Program makes foreign travel available to graduate students
- Faculty members have a large amount of professional marketing research and industry experience
The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a major in marketing is a 185-credit program. It includes courses in market research, consumer buyer behavior, products and strategy. The Master of Science in Marketing program offers five concentrations, including digital marketing, customer experience and supply-chains. Students can also customize their coursework to fit their interests. Additionally, graduate certificates are available in digital marketing, integrated marketing strategy, integrated marketing communication, supply-chain management and customer experience management. Each certificate program offers customized curriculum options, where students choose four classes out of an elective pool. Keep in mind that no fashion merchandising classes are available at the University of Denver.
Runner-Up #2: University of Colorado - Denver
- Ranked #35 in 'Top National Online Graduate Business Programs' and #89 in 'Top National Part-time MBA Programs' by U.S. News & World Report in 2013
- Accredited by the AACSB
- The Business School connects graduate students and new graduates with potential employers through the Graduate Center Connections program
UCD's Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a major in marketing has comparable course offerings, though the programs don't offer any classes specifically in fashion merchandising. The program includes required courses and electives in marketing research, marketing management, advertising, consumer behavior and international marketing. The Business School also offers a Master of Science in Marketing with the option of getting a dual MBA degree. The dual degree has courses in team management, ethical practices and operations.