School and Ranking Information
There are nine schools in the Denver, CO, area offering interior design degree programs. Based on graduation rates and program offerings, the top 3 schools in the area that offer interior design programs are Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design, Arapahoe Community College and Front Range Community College.
- Winner: Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design is the only school out of the 3 that's based in Denver, and it has the highest graduation rate. It offers a bachelor's program in interior design.
- Runner-Up #1: Arapahoe Community College offers certificate and associate degree programs in the field, and it awarded more interior design degrees than the second runner-up in recent years.
- Runner-Up #2: Front Range Community College also offers certificate and associate degree programs in interior design.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design||Arapahoe Community College||Front Range Community College|
|Location||Denver, CO**||Littleton, CO (8 miles from Denver)**||Westminster, CO (8 miles from Denver)**|
|School Type||4-year, private for-profit**||2-year, public**||2-year, public**|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$27,648**||$2,898 (in-state),
| $2,962 (in-state),
|Interior Design Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's degree***||Certificate and associate degree***||Certificate and associate degree***|
|Interior Design Degrees and Certificates Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||26**||45**||11**|
|Most Popular Interior Design Program (2011-2012)||N/A||Associate degree (45 awarded)**||Associate degree (7 awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time)||41% (2006 entering class)**||17% (2009 entering class)**||17% (2009 entering class)**|
|Noteworthy||Interior design program is available on campus and online***||Career and Transfer Center offers students career assessments and advising, workshops and other job search services***||School's design club provides students with hands-on projects***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***Schools' websites
Winner: Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design
- Interior design program is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
- School offers need-based artistic and academic scholarships, as well as grants
- Hosts a campus center for the International Interior Design Association (IIDA)
Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in interior design. The program includes training in manual drafting, computer-aided drafting (CAD), space planning, light design, construction documents and residential design. An internship and a senior design project are also required. Students have the option to specialize in sustainable design, and the program includes coursework in sustainable design strategies and technologies, as well as a sustainable design studio.
Runner-Up #1: Front Range Community College
- Kitchen and bath design certificate program is accredited by the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA)
- Students can join the IIDA and gain access to events, competitions, career resources and other benefits
Front Range Community College offers a kitchen and bath design certificate program, as well as an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree program in interior design. The 67-credit associate's degree program provides students with knowledge in a wide range of subjects, including interior design history, space planning, materials and codes. Students also take courses that teach professional practices and portfolio development, and they get real-world experience through an internship. Graduates meet the education requirements to sit for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) certification exams.
The 34-credit certificate program includes coursework in basic architectural drafting and Auto CAD for interior design, as well as two courses in kitchen and bath design. Student also complete an internship. Completion of the certificate program prepares students for the Associate Kitchen and Bath Designer certification exam offered by the NKBA.
Runner-Up #2: Arapahoe Community College
- Received the NKBA Award for Excellence in Education (2011-2012)
- Interior design associate degree program is accredited by NKBA
Arapahoe Community College offers one of the oldest associate degree programs in interior design in the state of Colorado. The 75-credit AAS program includes a course focused on compiling an effective portfolio and resume, as well as a workshop and capstone course on advanced interior design research and practice. Arapahoe also has a 30-credit residential kitchen and bath design specialist certificate program. Both programs prepare students to sit for the Associate Kitchen and Bath Designer examinations, but certificate program graduates must also complete one year of professional experience to be eligible. Certificate program graduates who gain additional professional experience may sit for the Certified Kitchen Designer or Certified Bath Designer examinations.