School and Ranking Information
There are only three schools where students can obtain training in international business within 25 miles of Oklahoma City. The following schools are considered the top three based on program offerings, school rankings and overall undergraduate graduation rates:
- Winner: Oklahoma Christian University emerges as the winner based on its high regional ranking and because it is the only school among the three offering a master's degree in international business. Students can also earn a bachelor's degree in this field of study.
- Runner Up #1: Appearing as the first runner up is the University of Central Oklahoma, also because of its regional ranking and because it awards the highest number of bachelor's degrees in international business in the area.
- Runner Up #2: Oklahoma City Community College is in the third spot because it is the only school located directly in the city to offer an international business program. Students can pursue a certificate in international business.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Oklahoma Christian University||University of Central Oklahoma||Oklahoma City Community College|
|Ranking||#42 among top regional universities - West (2014)*||#75 among top regional universities - West (2014)*||N/A|
|Location||Edmond, OK (about 10 miles from Oklahoma City)||Edmond, OK (about 16 miles from Oklahoma City)||Oklahoma City, OK|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees in 2012-2013|| $18,800 (undergraduate),
| $5,092 (undergraduate, in-state),
$12,767 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
| $2,974 (undergraduate, in-state),
$7,588 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|International Business Award Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's degrees||Certificate (can be completed with an associate's degree)|
|International Business Certificates and Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2011-2012||4**||21**||Not reported|
|Most Popular International Business Program in 2011-2012||Master's degree (3 awarded)**||Bachelor's degree (21 awarded)**||N/A|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time)||50% (20% transfer-out rate) for 2006 entering class **||32% (34% transfer-out rate) for 2006 entering class**||11% (20% transfer-out rate) for 2009 entering class**|
|Noteworthy||The MBA with a focus on international business can be completed on campus or online||The school has a Small Business Development Center and a Center for Leadership and Business Research||The school's Center for International Business is in the process of developing student exchange and faculty exchange programs|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), College Navigator
Winner: Oklahoma Christian University
- International business bachelor's degree students must complete an international internship or other practical experience
- International business undergraduate majors must study a foreign language
Students can explore international business through Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) and/or Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree programs. Bachelor's degree students take several lower- and upper-division general business courses, including business management and professional business communications. In the international business concentration, students learn about economics, finance, marketing and economics through a global lens. Graduates can qualify to work in various aspects of global business, both in the U.S. and abroad.
The MBA program focuses on real-world applications of business skills. The international business track requires four courses that cover trade and finance, international management, global enterprise and international marketing. The program can be completed either on campus or online.
Runner-Up #1: University of Central Oklahoma
- International business students can earn credits while on international study tours to places like London, Taiwan and Paris
- Students in the College of Business can join various student groups, like the Economic Club and Accounting Club
The University of Central Oklahoma offers a BBA program in international business. Course offerings include a set of core business courses and a set of international business courses. Students can learn about international business communications, global monetary relations and international laws of business. They also chose an emphasis area related to a specific global region, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Africa, Asia or Europe, which could include an internship or study abroad component.
Runner-Up #2: Oklahoma City Community College
- Students may complete the international business certificate along with an associate's degree program in business or any other major
- Business, finance and management associate's degree programs are accredited through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
This school offers a Certificate of Mastery program in international business that requires 18 credits of international business courses. The international courses cover basic areas like marketing and economics. A capstone course rounds out the program. Students can more fully immerse themselves in international business by joining the Multicultural Business Club.