School and Ranking Information
Individuals interested in learning massage therapy in San Jose have about six schools to choose from. The top three schools, based off of program offerings and graduation rates, are:
- Winner: De Anza College offers both an associate's degree and certificate program in massage therapy. The college also has a high graduation rate and a student-run massage clinic.
- Runner-Up #1: Carrington College California - San Jose also has a high graduation rate and requires externships.
- Runner-Up #2: West Valley College is a large public 2-year college that prepares students for entry-level employment in this field.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||De Anza College||Carrington College California - San Jose||West Valley College|
|Location||Cupertino, CA (about 8.7 miles from San Jose)||San Jose, CA||Saratoga, CA (about 8.5 miles from San Jose)|
|School Type||2-year; public||2-year; private for-profit||2-year; public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-13)||$1,542 (per year, in-state); $6,357 (per year, out-of-state)*||$12,090 (total program cost)**||$1,178 (per year, in-state); $6,074 (per year, out-of-state)*|
|Massage Therapy Program Levels Offered||Certificate; associate's degree||Certificate; associate's degree||Certificate|
|Massage Therapy Degree and Certificates Awarded in 2011-12||19*||18*||6*|
|Most Popular Massage Therapy Program (2011-12)||Certificate in Massage Therapy (13 awarded)*||Certificate in Massage Therapy (16 awarded)*||Certificate in Massage Therapy (6 awarded)*|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2009 Entering Class||61%*||63%*||26%*|
|Noteworthy||Student-staffed on-campus massage clinic||College scholarships available||Large student population|
Sources: *National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), **Carrington College California.
Winner: De Anza College
- Three program options
- Massage therapy internship required
- First California community college to offer state chancellor-approved certificate and degree program in massage therapy
- Programs prepare students to take the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
De Anza College, located about nine miles from downtown San Jose, offers an Associate of Arts and two certificate programs in massage therapy. The college's massage therapy programs require comprehensive knowledge of anatomy, physiology and medical terminology. The programs emphasize deep tissue, sports and international types of massage. Classes are offered throughout the year. Massage therapy internships are required in each program to reinforce what students have learned in the classroom. Students have an opportunity to work in the college's massage clinic. Program graduates qualify for membership in the American Massage Therapy Association.
Runner-Up #1: Carrington College California - San Jose
- Students complete externships in a massage therapy office
- 4% of 2011-12 graduates earned massage therapy certificates or degrees, per the NCES
- Small student body population
Carrington College California - San Jose offers a certificate in massage therapy; students may earn an Associate of Science degree by completing the online degree completion program in health studies. This program combines laboratory work with classroom training and practical experience. The coursework focuses on subjects such as physiology, massage modalities, anatomy, body mechanics and professionalism. Students learn techniques that include trigger point therapy, shiatsu, sport and Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, pre-natal massage and reflexology.
Runner-Up #2: West Valley College
- 4% of 2011-12 graduates earned massage therapy degrees, per NCES data
- Campus located on 143 acres in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains
West Valley College, about 8.5 miles from downtown San Jose, offers a certificate program in massage therapy through its Health Care Technologies Department. This program integrates knowledge, hands-on training and theory to prepare students for entry-level jobs as massage therapists. Courses include medical law and ethics, basic medical terminology, holistic medicine introduction, chair massage and Shiatsu. Internships are also available.