These schools offer master's degrees in accounting and many were highly ranked by various agencies. These programs prepare students to become professional accountants.
Accountancy students learn to use financial information about business entities to communicate with shareholders and managers. Many highly-regarded American business schools offer accounting programs that provide a Master of Accountancy, which is also known as a Master of Professional Accountancy. Three of these schools were highly ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
University of Texas - Austin
|School Highlight: The university is tied for #18 on U.S. News & World Report's 2017 listing of best public schools.|
The University of Texas - Austin is listed as first on the 2016 Public Accounting Report's 35th Annual Professor's Survey of the best graduate accounting schools. It is also ranked as the top graduate accounting program on U.S. News and World Report's 2016 list of best graduate accounting universities in the United States.
The University of Texas offers a Master in Professional Accounting (MPA), which takes 12-18 months to complete. The program allows graduate students to meet with business professionals through events such as the MPA Distinguished Speaker Series. Many students find jobs in public accounting and become comptrollers, financial officers or corporate executives.
Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah
|School Highlight: BYU ranked #15 on U.S. News & World Report's 2016 list of best value schools.|
Ranked third on the 2016 Public Accounting Report's 35th Annual Professor's Survey, Brigham Young University is also listed seventh on U.S. News and World Report's 2016 list of top graduate accounting schools in America.
Brigham Young's Marriott School provides graduate students with a Master of Accountancy (MACC). The program supplies a broad background in accounting and focuses on business-related topics with concentrations in professional accountancy and tax. Each year, the accounting school admits about 80 students into the graduate program.
Arizona State University in Tempe, AZ
|School Highlight: ASU is industry partners with professionals in the field of accounting, business and government.|
Arizona State University's is ranked first on U.S. News and World Report's list of most innovative schools. Students can earn dual master's degrees in accountancy and legal studies. Most of the graduates of the master's accountancy program find employment within 90 days of graduation.
Top Master of Accountancy Schools
Other schools with master's degrees in accountancy include the following:
- Michigan State University, in East Lansing, MI, has an accounting program that was ranked #17 in the nation by Accounting Degree Review in 2016.
- Ohio State University in Columbus, OH was ranked #16 among public schools, according to the U.S. News & World Report' 2017 list of the top public schools.
- Texas A&M University, in College Station, TX, has an accounting program that is AACSB Accredited.
- University of Florida in Gainesville, FL, has a pass rate for students taking the CPA exam for the first time of 85.5%, higher than the national average of 55%.
- University of Illinois in Champaign, IL, was ranked #4 on the U.S. News & World Report list of top universities to offer graduate programs in accounting.
- University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI was ranked #4 on U.S. News & World Report's2017 list of the top public schools.
- University of Wisconsin in Madison, WI, have had work by faculty and students featured in Journal of the American Taxation Association, Contemporary Accounting Research and more.
These schools offer master's degrees in professional accounting, which prepare students for a variety of careers in accounting. Students who are deciding on a school may consider things such as a school's ranking and whether it is AACSB certified.