School and Ranking Information
Only three schools within fifty miles of Honolulu offer public administration programs. Based on rankings, graduation rates, and program availability, these top schools separate into the following order:
- Winner : University of Hawai'i at Manoa (UHM) is a 4-year public school. It is a nationally ranked university. It also offers a wealth of programs to help students cover tuition. The school offers a master's degree and a graduate certificate in public administration.
- Runner Up #1 : Hawai'i Pacific University (HPU) is a 4-year private school. According to U.S. News and World Report, the school is a regional heavyweight. It offers a bachelor's degree in public administration. The school has a keen interest in developing students to become leaders in future organizations.
- Runner Up #2 : University of Hawai'i - West O'ahu (UHWO) is a 4-year public school. It has the lowest graduation rate of the three schools. It offers a bachelor's degree in public administration as well.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Hawai'i at Manoa||Hawai'i Pacific University||University of Hawai'i - West O'ahu|
|Ranking(s)|| #156 among national universities in 2013,
#83 among top public national universities in 2013,
#138 among best graduate public affairs programs nationally in 2012*
|#81 among regional universities in the West in 2013*||Unranked*|
|Location||Honolulu, Hawai'i||Honolulu, Hawai'i||Kapolei, Hawai'i (15.5 miles from Honolulu)|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$12,352 (graduate, in-state)
$28,912 (graduate, out-of-state)**
|$18,600 (undergraduate)**|| $5,602 (undergraduate, in-state),
$16,666 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|Public Administration Degrees Offered||Master's degrees; graduate certificates||Bachelor's degrees||Bachelor's degrees|
|Public Administration Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||23**||2**||59*|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||56%**||40%**||N/A**|
|Noteworthy||Scholarships and fellowships are available for Master of Public Administration students||Leadership development program provides leadership seminars for students||School has a Justice, Public, and Health Administration Club open to all UHWO students|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator.
Winner: University of Hawai'i at Manoa
- University of Hawai'i at Manoa has a chapter of Pi Alpha Alpha, the public affairs and administration honor society
- Joint degrees and dual certificate programs are available in conjunction with several schools and departments, including the Shidler School of Business and the Political Science Department
The University of Hawai'i at Manoa offers graduate program options in public administration. The Master of Public Administration program requires the completion of 30 units, and students can choose to complete a master's thesis. This program includes a practicum and takes about five semesters to complete. This school also offers a 1-year, 15-credit graduate certificate program in public administration.
Runner-Up #1: Hawai'i Pacific University
- Executives in Residence program provides opportunities for business students to build relationships with international business leaders
- The most popular field of study for 2011 graduates at HPU was business and related majors, according to U.S. News and World Report
Hawai'i Pacific University's Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a major in public administration requires the completion of 124 credits. In addition to general education requirements, coursework for this program covers subjects in state and local government, human resource management, and business in contemporary society. For students choosing to major in another discipline, an undergraduate minor in public administration is also available.
Runner-Up #2: University of Hawai'i - West O'ahu
- Internships are available for public administration majors; past internship placements have included positions in state and local government and non-profit agencies
- The public administration major with a concentration in health care administration is available online
At UHWO, students interested in public administration can complete the Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration (BAPA) in general public administration or with a concentration in disaster preparedness and emergency management, healthcare administration, or justice administration. The BAPA requires the completion of 27 core credits and 18 concentration credits. UHWO also offers a Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management Certificate and a Certificate in Health Care Administration. Credits from these certificate programs can be applied to the BAPA. The general public administration degree program includes courses in administrative decision-making, public communication campaigns, and administrative law.