School and Ranking Information
There are around 40 schools with business degrees found in the greater Miami area. The following two private nonprofit universities and one public university are considered the top three based on such considerations as rankings, program level offerings and business degrees awarded:
- Winner: University of Miami in Coral Gables, a city in Miami-Dade County, comes out on top for its graduation rate, degree level choices in business and for the institution's national rankings from U.S. News & World Report in 2012 and 2013.
- Runner Up #1: Florida International University in Miami follows due to its tuition rates and the large number of awarded degrees in the field.
- Runner Up #2: St. Thomas University, found in Miami Gardens, is the second runner up resulting from being regionally ranked in 2013 by U.S. News & World Report and for having small class sizes in the business program.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Miami||Florida International University||St. Thomas University|
|Rankings||#44 among national universities (2013), #72 among undergraduate business schools (2012)*||#141 among undergraduate business schools (2012)*||#56 among regional universities in the South (2013)*|
|Location||Coral Gables, FL (about 7 miles from Miami)||Miami, FL||Miami Gardens, FL (about 7 miles from Miami)|
|School Type||4-year, private, not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, private, not-for-profit|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$41,220**|| $6,417 in-state,
|Business Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's & doctoral degrees||Bachelor's, master's & doctoral degrees||Bachelor's & master's degrees|
|Business Degrees and Certificates Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||779**||3,639**||248**|
|Most Popular Business Program (2011-2012)||Master's in Business Administration & Management - General (272 awarded)**||Master's in Business Administration & Management - General (710 awarded)**||Master's in Business Administration & Management - General (77 awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||81%**||49% (6% transfer-out rate)**||32% (2% transfer-out rate)**|
|Noteworthy||Business school offers mentor programs for career preparation||Scholarships are available for full-time business students||Average of 15 students in each business class|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **National Center for Education Statistics.
Winner: University of Miami
- Students have study abroad opportunities (short- and long-term)
- Offers 13 undergraduate business majors, 10 MBA concentrations and 8 PhD concentrations
The University of Miami allows undergraduate students to choose from majors such as accounting, entrepreneurship, marketing, real estate and economics, among others. PhD concentrations include accounting, finance, management science and marketing. This school is home to the Center for International Business Education & Research, which features programs and courses available to students, and it also holds events featuring business leaders. The school's career center provides assistance with job placement, internships and graduate school applications.
Runner-Up #1: Florida International University
- Offers 7 undergraduate business majors and 4 PhD concentrations
- Internship opportunities are available and might count toward academic credit requirements
- Offers several bachelor's and master's degree programs in an online format
Florida International University offers certificates, as well as bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in business. Majors include finance, human resource management, international business and marketing. Special track options available to undergraduate students include entrepreneurship, leadership and change management, logistics and green management. Students are also encouraged to participate in full- or part-time internships to gain experience.
Runner-Up #2: St. Thomas University
- Business administration bachelor's program features 6 majors and MBA program offers 6 concentrations
- School features the Investors Business Club
This school offers bachelor's and master's degrees in business at its location in Miami Gardens, and the master's program in management is also available online. Areas of study within the business administration undergraduate program include finance, sports administration, international business, accounting and management. The sports administration program is approved by the North American Society of Sport Management and combines sports management courses with business concepts. St. Thomas University also is home to the Investors Business Club, which allows students to gain extra experience with investments.