School and Ranking Information
While few schools located directly in Kansas City, MO, offer finance programs, students interested in obtaining a degree in this field can find several schools within 25 miles of the city providing these types of programs. The following three institutions are the top schools in the Kansas City area for business finance programs based on their rankings, graduation rates and finance degrees awarded:
- Winner: The University of Missouri - Kansas City lands in the top spot as the largest of the three schools based on student population. The school also places first due to having the highest graduation rates, possessing the highest national ranking and awarding the highest number of degrees in finance. Students can pursue finance studies at the undergraduate and graduate degree levels.
- Runner Up #1: Located about five miles from Kansas City, Park University secures the second spot because it has the second-highest population, awards the most bachelor's degrees in the area of study and has a graduation rate nearly as high as that of University of Missouri. Graduate students can pursue a certificate in finance or take it as an area of concentration in the MBA program.
- Runner Up #2: Missouri Western State University places third because, while it has a high regional ranking, its business programs are not ranked. The school also has the lowest graduation rate and lowest number of finance degrees awarded among the three schools. Finance studies are offered at the bachelor's degree level.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Missouri - Kansas City||Park University||Missouri Western State University|
|Ranking (2014)|| 201st best national university,
117th best national public school,
141st best undergraduate business program (2013),
105th best part-time MBA (2013)*
|110th best online graduate business program (2013)*|| 71st best regional college for the Midwest,
8th best regional public school for the Midwest*
|Location||Kansas City, MO||Parkville, MO (located 5 miles from Kansas City)||Saint Joseph, MO (located 46 miles from Kansas City)|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private, not-for-profit||4-year, public|
|Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)|| $9,299 (in-state, undergraduate),
$21,833 (out-of-state, undergraduate),
$6,935 (in-state, graduate),
$26,380 (out-of-state, graduate)**
| $9,788 (undergraduate),
| $6,007 (in-state, undergraduate),
$11,144 (out-of-state, undergraduate)**
|Finance Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees; graduate certificate||Bachelor's degree|
|Finance Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2011-2012||195**||54**||11**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||48%**||41%**||31%**|
|Noteworthy||Programs are accredited through the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International||Business programs are available online||All business majors have a required Applied Learning experience through internships, directed research or study abroad|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report; **NCES College Navigator.
Winner: University of Missouri - Kansas City
- The Henry W. Bloch Executive Hall for Entrepreneurship and Innovation features a 200-seat auditorium, finance lab and classroom and research lab
- 95% of all professors hold the highest degree in their field
- Features two finance-related master's degrees
The Bachelor of Business Administration program at the University of Missouri - Kansas City features a finance concentration that requires students to complete 123 credits. Finance students must complete courses in global financial markets, investments and corporate finance. Finance electives include entrepreneurial finance, risk management, real estate and commercial bank management.
Students at UMKC can pursue a Master of Science in Finance or an MBA with a concentration in finance. The Master of Science in Finance prepares students for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP) designations. Courses include mergers and acquisitions, financial modeling, portfolio management, investments and derivative securities. The finance concentration within the MBA program features courses in financial markets, investment analysis, real estate finance and financial intermediaries.
Runner Up #1: Park University
- Offers a summer business academy for high school students
- Features a lecture series for business students
Park University offers a Bachelor of Science in Finance and a finance concentration within the business administration bachelor's degree program. Both programs are available on-campus and online and cover topics in personal financial management, financial institutions, corporate finance, investment analysis, real estate principles, international finance and credit and banking.
The finance concentration within the MBA program offers students an opportunity to take advanced courses in financial reporting, taxation, mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity, valuation and risk management. Students learn how to apply critical thinking skills into real-world settings. The finance graduate certificate is 12 credits and includes courses in managerial finance, international finance, investment management and financial markets.
Runner Up #2: Missouri Western State University
- According to the school, more than 75% of business students take advantage of internship opportunities
- Students who choose the research option for the Applied Learning experience may present their findings at national or international conferences
- 96% of incoming freshmen received financial aid in 2011-2012, according to the NCES
Missouri Western offers a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) in Finance. The foundation of this program involves introductory courses in topics such as financial and managerial accounting, micro- and macroeconomics, statistics, microcomputers and financial management. Advanced coursework incorporates information systems, ethics and international finance. The BSBA program is designed to teach students both the theory behind finance and the practical application of financial principles.