School and Ranking Information
Fewer than 10 schools are within a 50-mile radius of Orlando that have marketing programs. The following schools are regarded as the top three according to rankings, school type and tuition:
- Winner: University of Central Florida in Orlando takes first place due to how many marketing degrees the school has awarded, for being a public institution and for its tuition rates.
- Runner Up #1: Stetson University in DeLand is the first runner up school as a result of its multiple national and regional rankings from U.S. News & World Report between 2012 and 2013 and for the study abroad opportunity.
- Runner Up #2: Florida Southern College, located in Lakeland, secures third place for its AACSB accreditation and guaranteed marketing internships for students in the program.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Central Florida||Stetson University||Florida Southern College|
|Rankings (2012-2013)||141st among undergraduate business programs, national;
174th among national universities;
98th among public schools, national*
|3rd among regional universities in the South;
4th among regional universities with the best value in the South;
233rd among undergraduate business programs, national*
|4th among regional colleges in the South*|
|Location||Orlando, FL||DeLand, FL (32.7 miles from Orlando)||Lakeland, FL (49.1 miles from Orlando)|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$6,247 (in-state)**
|Marketing Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's degrees||Bachelor's degrees|
|Marketing Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in (2011-2012)||413**||22**||3**|
|Most Popular Marketing Program (2012)||Bachelor's (413 awarded)**||Bachelor's (22 awarded)**||Bachelor's (3 awarded)|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2005 Entering Class||63% (8% transfer-out rate)**||64%**||55%**|
|Noteworthy||The Professional Selling Program is one of only 50 such specialized programs in the U.S.||Summer study abroad program in Innsbruck, Austria, with accredited business courses||Barney Barnett School of Business and Free Enterprise is the only AACSB-accredited school in Polk County|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report; **NCES College Navigator.
Winner: University of Central Florida
- Only 35 students per year are admitted to the professional selling track
- Has a Sales Club and a chapter of the Society for Marketing Professional Services
Students interested in earning a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a marketing track at UCF can choose between a general marketing track or a track in professional selling. The one-year Professional Selling Program is selective and intense, with specially designed courses and professional mentorships. Upperclassmen with a 2.75 grade point average can apply to complete an internship for credit, but it is not required for graduation. Students have the opportunity to network with potential local employers who attend the annual career expo hosted by the Sales Club. The Office for Career Connections offers services for students and alumni, such as a career database shared with employers. In addition to the bachelor's program, Stetson offers a Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration with a marketing concentration.
Runner-Up #1: Stetson University
- Students can access cutting-edge technology at the Lynn Business Center
- The university holds a yearly competition for students to win a summer research grant for study with a faculty mentor
- Awards and scholarships for marketing majors
Undergraduate marketing majors in the School of Business Administration have the option to complete an internship and take a specially designed career development course. Some of the other classes students can take include marketing principles, marketing research, consumer behavior, and global marketing. The school also has a marketing minor. To network with professionals in the marketing community, students can join the Stetson chapter of the American Marketing Association. In addition, scholarships and awards are available to marketing majors. Alumni are employed by marketing groups and nationally recognized brands.
Runner-Up #2: Florida Southern College
- New Becker Building provides business students with modern resources
- Guaranteed internship for marketing students
- Major companies have provided business students with more than $50,000 worth of scholarships
Students who specialize in marketing at Florida Southern College can take classes such as marketing research, principles of marketing, and marketing management. The marketing program emphasizes preparation for the professional world through research projects, internships, and case studies for businesses in central Florida. Past Barney Barnett School of Business and Free Enterprise students have interned for major banks, insurance companies, and local attractions, like Disney Resorts. After attending the university for four semesters, students can study abroad for a fraction of the regular cost.