School and Ranking Information
There are a few schools offering psychology programs within a 25-mile radius of Honolulu. The following schools are considered the top three based on rankings, total number of degrees awarded in the field and tuition.
- Winner: University of Hawaii, Manoa, located in Honolulu, secured the top spot for its tuition rates, numerous national rankings assigned by U.S. News & World Report between 2012 and 2013 and for its large number of degrees awarded in the field.
- Runner Up #1: Chaminade University of Honolulu, situated in Honolulu, is the first runner up for its multiple degree levels offered in the field and its location.
- Runner Up #2: Hawaii Pacific University in Honolulu takes the third spot for its regional ranking from U.S News & World Report in 2013 and for the popularity of the field of study at the school.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Hawaii - Manoa||Chaminade University of Honolulu||Hawaii Pacific University|
|Ranking(s)|| 101st for top graduate psychology programs, nationwide (2013),
104th for top graduate clinical psychology programs, nationwide (2012),
156th for top national universities (2013),
83rd for top public schools (among top national universities) (2013)*
|86th for top regional universities - West (2013)*||81st for top regional universities -West (2013)*|
|Location||Honolulu, HI||Honolulu, HI||Honolulu, HI|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees in 2012-2013||$9,404 (undergraduate, in-state),
$25,652 (undergraduate, out-of-state),
$12,352 (graduate, in-state),
$28,912 (graduate, out-of-state)**
| $19,330 (undergraduate),
| $18,600 (undergraduate),
|Psychology Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Psychology Degrees (all levels) Awarded in 2011-2012||236**||162**||57**|
|Most Popular Psychology Program 2011-2012||Bachelor's degree in psychology (193 awarded)**||Master's degree in counseling psychology (110 awarded)**||Bachelor's degree in psychology (57 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||56%**||36%**||40%**|
|Noteworthy||Received $317 million in research funding in 2012***||Offers an accelerated bachelor's degree in psychology program through the Adult Evening and Online Program (AEOP)***||Ranked in the top 20 U.S. universities with the most international students in 2010-2011****|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report rankings, **National Center for Education Statistics, ***Schools' websites, ****The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Winner: University of Hawaii - Manoa
- In 2010-2011, psychology was the top undergraduate degree awarded at UH - Manoa, according to the school
- UH - Manoa is categorized as having 'very high research activity' by the Carnegie Foundation
- 85% of UH - Manoa faculty have a doctoral degree, according to the school's website
- Graduate psychology concentrations include clinical, social, cognitive, behavioral, developmental, community and experimental psychology
University of Hawaii - Manoa's Department of Psychology provides undergraduate students with the option to pursue a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science. While both programs prepare students for graduate programs in psychology, the Bachelor of Science program includes a focus on research. Qualified undergraduate students have the opportunity to participate in the honors program and the UH - Manoa chapter of Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology. Graduate students in the department may pursue a doctoral degree with a focus on 1 of 7 psychology concentrations. Additionally, graduate students may earn their master's degree en route to earning their doctoral degree. The department's doctoral program in clinical psychology is APA-accredited and prepares graduates for licensure.
Runner-Up #1: Chaminade University of Honolulu
- In 2012, psychology was among the top 3 declared majors for undergraduate students at CUH, according to the school
- Faculty includes a Hawaii Psychological Association award-winner
- CUH is the only Catholic university in Hawaii and has a student body representing multiple religions and denominations
- For the 2011-2012 academic year, 100% of full-time, first-time undergraduates received financial aid, according to NCES
Chaminade University of Honolulu's Division of Behavioral Sciences awards a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Counseling Psychology. Students may choose to join the CUH chapter of Psi Chi. Graduate students may pursue a master's degree with a focus on 1 of 3 psychology concentrations: marriage and family, mental health or school counseling. Both the marriage and family and the mental health programs prepare graduates for licensure.
Runner-Up #2: Hawaii Pacific University
- Based on the number of degrees conferred in 2011-2012, psychology was in the top 3 most popular undergraduate programs at HPU, according to NCES
- The school has a scholarship for psychology majors with high academic achievement and a background of community service
- For the 2011-2012 academic year, 94% of first-time, full-time undergraduates received financial aid
Hawaii Pacific University's Department of Psychology gives undergraduate students the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through an on-campus psychology lab and other faculty-led research projects. Upper-division courses in the Bachelor of Arts program include multicultural psychology, biopsychology, cognitive psychology and psychological evaluations. The Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program prepares students to become licensed counselors. Also, students may choose to join the HPU Chapter of Psi Chi and the Psychology Club.