School and Ranking Information
With only one for-profit institution located directly in Henderson, NV, that offers human resource management studies, students seeking an education in this field can explore programs at schools in nearby Las Vegas. The following schools are considered the top two based on rankings, school type and student population:
- Winner: The University of Nevada - Las Vegas secured the overall top spot because it is the only public institution near Henderson that has human resource management studies, and because its business programs are nationally ranked. Students will find human resource management courses in a continuing education certificate program.
- Runner-Up: The College of Southern Nevada is the runner-up because it has the highest student enrollment among schools in the Henderson area with human resource management programs. Students can earn a 2-year degree in this field of study.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Nevada - Las Vegas||College of Southern Nevada|
|Rankings/Distinctions||Undergraduate business programs ranked #184 among national universities (2014)*||Largest higher education institution in Nevada**|
|Location||Las Vegas, NV||Las Vegas, NV|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, public|
|Tuition and Fees (2013-2104)||Undergrad: $279 per each human resource management continuing education course***||$2,700 (in-state); $9,345 (out-of-state)****|
|Human Resources Management Degree Levels Offered||Certificate||Associate's degree|
|Human Resources Management Degrees Awarded in 2012-2013||Not reported||14****|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||39%****||9%****|
|Noteworthy||Certificates can benefit working professionals or individuals new to the field||Human resource management program is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **College of Southern Nevada; ***University of Nevada - Las Vegas; ***NCES Navigator
Winner: University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV)
- Graduates receive their certificates from UNLV's Division of Education Outreach's Professional Development Center and the Southern Nevada Human Resources Association
- UNLV consults with human resource and business professionals when creating human resource management curricula
- Some courses count for recertification credits through the HR Certification Institute (HRCI)
UNLV offers basic and advanced human resource management certificates that educate students about the disciplines, trends and advancements in the field. Students who enroll in the basic certificate program take courses that cover topics in strategic management, staff management and employee development. In addition to completing the basic certificate requirements, students who want to earn the advanced certificate must take additional classes in business writing, employment law and organizational ethics. Human resource management courses are also available as stand-alone courses.
Runner Up: College of Southern Nevada
- Opportunity to take elective courses in topics such as women in management, public sector administration, business law and employment law
- Graduates are prepared to work in profit and not-for-profit settings
College of Southern Nevada's business management associate degree with a human resource management emphasis focuses on the application of human resource theories and the demonstration of techniques in the field. The program consists of 36 credits of core courses, 25 credits of general education requirements and three credits of electives. Courses in the program include management principles, organizational behavior, human resources management introduction, leadership, interviewing and marketing. Students also learn about recruiting, selecting and training employees.