School and Ranking Information
In most cases, international business management studies at schools in and near Cincinnati are offered through business administration programs. Based on rankings, graduation rates and number of degrees awarded in international business, the following schools are considered the top three in Cincinnati for international business management studies:
- Winner: By ranking in the top five among regional universities and boasting the lowest student-to-faculty ratio among the three schools, Xavier University is declared the top school. It also has a high graduation rate. International business management can be studied at the bachelor's and master's degree levels.
- Runner Up #1: The University of Cincinnati takes the second spot due to its national and business program rankings and number of bachelor's degrees awarded in the field of study. Students can also pursue a master's degree in international business management.
- Runner Up #2: The University of Dayton places third since its undergraduate business programs rank lower than the other two schools and it is not located directly in Cincinnati. However, its national ranking is higher than that of the University of Cincinnati, and its graduation rate is equal to Xavier University's. International business studies are offered through its Bachelor of Business Administration program.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Xavier University||University of Cincinnati||University of Dayton|
|Rankings||4th among regional universities (Midwest) in 2013*|| 139th among national universities in 2013;
70th among top public schools, among national universities, in 2013*;
117th among undergraduate business programs, nationwide, in 2012*;
99th among best graduate business schools, nationwide, in 2013*
| 115th among national universities in 2013*;
166th among undergraduate business programs, nationwide, in 2012*
|Location||Cincinnati, OH||Cincinnati, OH||Dayton, OH (45.9 miles from Cincinnati)|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$32,070 (undergraduate); $10,584 (graduate)**||$10,784 (undergraduate, in-state), $25,816 (undergraduate, out-of-state); $14,182 (graduate, in-state), $25,696 (graduate, out-of-state)**||$33,400 (undergraduate)**|
|International Business Management Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's degrees|
|International Business Management Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||27**||22**||17**|
|Most Popular International Business Management Program in 2011-2012||Master of Business Administration with an international business concentration (19 awarded)**||Bachelor of Business Administration in International Business (20 awarded)**||Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with an international business major (17 awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2006 Entering Class||78%**||55%**||78%**|
|Noteworthy||Executive mentor program helps undergraduates with their careers and networking||During their first year, undergraduate students participate in a program in which they meet with local companies and apply the business skills they are learning||Offers international exchange and study abroad opportunities|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **National Center for Education Statistics
Winner: Xavier University
- Students can take some courses abroad
- Internships and international experiences are available
Students in the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) in International Business program study a foreign language and travel abroad to work or study. The program covers international trade, international marketing and international finance, as well as general business areas like accounting, human resources and information systems. The International Business Association provides opportunities for undergraduates to hear guest speakers and travel to companies.
Featuring flexible scheduling options, the Working Professional MBA program has an international business concentration with courses in international sales and global marketing as well as an international experience option. MBA students also take core business courses, like marketing strategy and business law, and complete a capstone in either global strategic thinking or corporate governance. Previous MBA graduates can enroll in the MBA Plus program to add an international business concentration by completing three courses.
Runner-Up #1: University of Cincinnati
- Undergraduates can complete co-ops or internships, study abroad and take advantage of professional development opportunities
- Honors versions of the bachelor's program are available, as well as an international business co-op program that features international work experience and foreign language study
- Graduate students benefit from flexible class options on the school's campuses in Blue Ash and Clifton Heights, as well as online
The Carl H. Lindner College of Business offers both bachelor's and master's programs in business administration that include a focus on international business. Students in the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in International Business program take courses in both traditional and international business fundamentals, learn about the global business environment, complete an international experience and do a capstone project. There is also an option to do an internship or co-op.
Students in the Master of Business Administration program can choose to customize the program with an international business graduate certificate. While some students have to complete foundational courses, all take core courses in areas like accounting, financial management, marketing, operations management, economics and information technology management. The international business graduate certificate program includes both coursework and opportunities to study abroad in Prague, France, Spain, China or Chile.
Runner-Up #2: University of Dayton
- There are 9 full-time and 2 part-time international business faculty members
- Students can join an international business club with expert speakers
- Program features an international experience and foreign language study
The BSBA program features a major in international business. Students take courses in business topics including accounting, computing, economics, financial management, marketing, organizational behavior and information systems. The international business major covers cross-cultural management, economic growth, international finance and global marketing. Students also complete a capstone course, take foreign language courses and travel abroad to work or study.