School and Ranking Information
While few schools in and around Cleveland, OH, have standalone information systems management programs, many management and business programs offer it as an area of emphasis or concentration. The following schools are considered the top three in Cleveland for information systems management programs based on rankings, levels of study and graduation rates:
- Winner: Case Western Reserve University is named the top school based on its national rankings, high graduation rates and level of study offered. It is also the largest school by student population offering information systems studies, which is an area of concentration with the doctoral program in management.
- Runner Up #1: Earning the first runner up spot is John Carroll University, which has graduation rates just slightly below that of Case Western Reserve University and is the second-largest school with information systems programs. Students can pursue a bachelor's degree in business information systems.
- Runner Up #2: Notre Dame College takes third place, with its regional ranking and graduation rate lower than the other two schools. Students of the undergraduate business administration program can major in information systems management.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Case Western Reserve University||John Carroll University||Notre Dame College|
|Rankings|| 37th among national universities (2013)*
36th among best value schools, nationwide (2013)*
| 7th among regional Midwest universities (2013)*
6th among best value schools, Midwest (2013)*
|58th among regional Midwest universities (2013)*|
|Location||Cleveland, Ohio||University Heights, Ohio (9.4 miles from Cleveland, Ohio)||Cleveland, Ohio|
|School Type||Four-year; private, non-profit||Four-year; private, non-profit||Four-year; private, non-profit|
|Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)||$37,146 (graduate)***||$33,180 (undergraduate)***||$25,514 (undergraduate)***|
|Information Systems Management Degree Levels Offered||Doctoral degree||Bachelor's degree||Bachelor's degree|
|Information Systems Management Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2011-2012||N/A||4***||5***|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||78%***||71%***||47%***|
|Noteworthy||Ranked 7th in the 2011 Washington Monthly College Guide**||John M. and Mary Jo Boler School of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB)||Business department offers small classes and 12 faculty members|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **Case Western Reserve University, ***National Council for Education Statistics.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Winner: Case Western Reserve University
- Recognized in the 2012 Princeton Review's Guide to 322 Green Colleges, according to the university
- 9:1 student-faculty ratio, according to the National Council for Education Statistics (NCES)
The PhD in Management program with a concentration in information systems at Weatherhead School of Management includes coursework focused on information systems research and management research, and it requires students to complete a dissertation. This graduate degree program prepares students for faculty positions in business schools or for research positions. The PhD program requires students to complete courses in research theory and method, advanced data analysis, measurement in management research and theory building and analysis. Students must complete a publishable paper at the end of the first and second year and attend an interdisciplinary research seminar series in each year.
Runner-Up #1: John Carroll University
- The Boler School of Business at John Carroll University's undergraduate business program ranks 4th in Ohio and 22nd nationally in terms of academic quality, according to Bloomberg Businessweek's 2012 Best Undergraduate Business Schools
- The school had a 71% six-year graduation rate and 64% four-year graduation rate for students who began in 2005, according to the NCES
The John Carroll University business information systems program allows students to select an emphasis in systems or business analysis. Offered through the Boler School of Business, the program is designed to develop the students' technical and management skills to work in a systems analyst position. The major requires students to complete the school's business core and courses in the information systems major, such as database design, management science and project management. Students can also complete an independent study course.
Runner-Up #2: Notre Dame College
- Retention rate of 67% for full-time and 80% for part-time students in 2010-2011, according to the NCES
- School features a faculty member dedicated to management information systems
Through the business administration division, students can complete a business administration degree program with a major in information systems. Core business courses include accounting, management, project management and business law. The major in information systems requires students to complete 18 credits in courses such as systems analysis, database management systems, programming logic and management information systems. The major is designed to prepare students to create information systems that meet a corporation's goals. Students who graduate from the program will have the skills to analyze a corporation's information system requirements and design the business' infrastructure.