School and Ranking Information
Criminal justice programs are available at ten different schools within a fifteen mile area of Fort Lauderdale, FL. Factors like graduation rankings, program offerings and school rankings were all considered when determining which of these universities were in the top three. The top ranked universities offering criminal justice programs are:
- Winner: Keiser University-Ft Lauderdale offers associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs and is ranked among regional universities.
- Runner-Up #1: Nova Southeastern University is the only school on the list to offer a doctoral program along with its bachelor's and master's programs.
- Runner-Up #2: Johnson & Wales University-North Miami offers associate's and bachelor's degrees and is the furthest away from Ft. Lauderdale.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Keiser University-Ft Lauderdale||Nova Southeastern University||Johnson & Wales University-North Miami|
|Rankings (2013)||57th for 2014 Regional Universities (South)*||N/A||N/A|
|Location||Fort Lauderdale, FL||Fort Lauderdale, FL||North Miami, FL (14 miles from Fort Lauderdale, FL)|
|School Type||4-year, primarily associate's, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $15,664 (undergraduate),
| $24,414 (undergraduate),
|Criminal Justice Degree Levels Offered||Associate's, bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees||Associate's and bachelor's degrees|
|Criminal Justice Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||465**||136**||14**|
|Most Popular Criminal Justice Degree Level in 2011-2012||Associate's degree (243 awarded)**||Master's degree (103 awarded)**||Bachelor's degree (13 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||55%**||42%**||42%**|
|Noteworthy||Numerous campuses across Florida||The school dedicates research and resources to helping the nearby community||A national security concentration is available|
Sources: *2013 U.S. News & World Report rankings, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: Keiser University-Ft Lauderdale
- Students take one class at a time in four-week periods.
- Day, evening and online class options.
- Accreditation from the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
At the undergraduate level, Keiser University-Ft Lauderdale has programs that result in an Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice and a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice available. The associate's degree program requires 60 credits worth of work while the bachelor's degree program has a 120-credit requirement. The core classes for both of these programs cover criminal law, criminal investigating, juvenile procedures, law enforcement and corrections. At the graduate level, students can pursue a Master of Arts in Criminal Justice. Students looking for a specialty option can choose the homeland security concentration. Research methods, gender, race and crime, management administration and criminology theory are just a few of the issues studied at the graduate level by criminal justice students here.
Runner-Up #1: Nova Southeastern University
- Dual bachelor's and master's degree program options for criminal justice majors.
- A minor option exists in criminal justice at this school for students pursuing a different major.
- Students with the appropriate GPA at this school can join the National Criminal Justice Honor Society: Alpha Phi Sigma.
Nova Southeastern University offers an undergraduate bachelor's degree option for criminal justice majors. The focal points of this program include issues like corrections, crime causation, the court system, research statistics and methods, law enforcement and law. Students can select their electives for this program in areas like forensic psychology, criminal behavior psychology, gangs in America and homeland security. To pursue a Master of Science in Criminal Justice at the school, students have to take the courses entirely online. However, there is also a Ph.D. in Criminal Justice that is pursuable at Nova Southeastern University. This program requires students to finish core classes, specialty track classes and a dissertation.
Runner-Up #2: Johnson & Wales University-North Miami
- A criminal justice student club, American Criminal Justice Association (AJCA), can be found on campus.
- Study abroad opportunities for criminal justice majors.
- The Crime Scene Institute on campus allows students to get hands-on experience in the crime scene room.
A Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice is one of the provided options for students at Johnson & Wales University-North Miami. In addition to the Crime Scene Institute, the school implements mock courtroom procedures for students to get additional first-hand experience. As part of the curriculum, students study crime scene photography, crime scene response and evidence collection. For ambitious students, there are options available to earn honors distinctions upon graduation.