School and Ranking Information
The city of Charlotte has a few schools available to students looking to study marketing. The top three schools, chosen on account of their program options, tuition and rankings, are as follows:
- Winner: University of North Carolina in Charlotte is the first selection due to being ranked nationally at various levels by U.S. News & World Report between 2012 and 2013, awarding a large number of degrees in the field and for being accredited by AACSB.
- Runner Up #1: Johnson & Wales University, located in Charlotte, is the second pick for internship opportunities, a study abroad program in Sweden and a regional top-100 ranking in 2013 from U.S. News & World Report.
- Runner Up #2: Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte secures third place for its tuition rates, being a public institution and for its American Marketing Association membership.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of North Carolina - Charlotte||Johnson & Wales University - Charlotte||Central Piedmont Community College|
|Rankings|| #87 among best undergraduate business programs, nationwide, in 2012*,
#50 among best part-time MBA programs, nationwide, in 2013*,
#199 among top national universities in 2013*
|#98 among the best regional universities in the North in 2013*||N/A|
|Location||Charlotte, NC**||Charlotte, NC**||Charlotte, NC**|
|School Type||4-year, public**||4-year, private, not-for-profit (primarily associate's)**||2-year, public**|
|Tuition & Fees in 2012-2013||$5,873 (in-state undergraduate)**, $18,402 (out-of-state, undergraduate)**, $6,349 (in-state, graduate)**, $18,636 (out-of-state, graduate)**||$26,412 (undergraduate)**||$2,481 (in-state, undergraduate)**, $8,625 (out-of-state, undergraduate)**|
|Marketing Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees**||Bachelor's degrees**||Associate's degrees; certificates**|
|Marketing Degrees/Certificates Awarded (all levels) in 2011-2012||105 bachelor's degrees (master's degrees with a concentration in marketing were not reported)**||10**||16**|
|Most Popular Marketing Program in 2011-2012||Not applicable||Not applicable||Associate's degree (10 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time)||53% for class entering in 2006**||52% for class entering in 2006**||12% for class entering in 2009**|
|Noteworthy||College of Business is accredited by Association for the Advancement of Collegiate Schools of Business - International||College of Business is oldest college in the university||N/A|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **National Center for Education Statistics.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
Winner: University of North Carolina - Charlotte
- The Marketing Department hosts a distinguished speaker colloquium
- The Belk College of Business hosts workshops and seminars for corporations and organizations
- Students can complete an internship
Through the Department of Marketing of the Belk College of Business, undergraduates can earn a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) degree in marketing. They can concentrate their studies in general marketing or marketing analytics, though all students may choose among courses like marketing creativity, sales, retailing and consumer data. Students who have completed a certain number of core and elective marketing courses and demonstrate academic achievement can complete a 150-hour, 3-credit internship.
At the graduate level, students can pursue a 37-credit program leading to a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in marketing. Students complete 22 credits of core courses and 15 credits in their specialization; marketing students may explore consumer analytics, brand building, promotions, pricing, social media marketing and global marketing.
Runner-Up #1: Johnson & Wales University - Charlotte
- Marketing students can complete an internship
- Students can join the Free Market Economics Club
- Students in the College of Business may begin coursework in their major in their first term
The College of Business at the Charlotte, NC, campus of Johnson & Wales University offers a program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Marketing. In addition to marketing courses, majors take general professional business courses. Students in this program can concentrate in marketing communications through electives. Qualified students may be able to serve an extended internship with school-partnered businesses or organizations and earn between 4.5 and 13.5 credits. In addition to honors and accelerated programs offered through the College of Business, a study abroad program in Sweden that's focused on marketing communications is available.
Runner-Up #2: Central Piedmont Community College
- Member of the American Marketing Association.
- Member of National Council for Marketing and Public Relations
The Business and Accounting Division offers an Associate in Applied Science with a major in marketing and retail that prepares graduates to seek entry-level employment. The program can also be taken at the Levine satellite campus. Students also have the option of earning a certificate in areas such as event planning and promotion or sales in less than a year.