School and Ranking Information
Graduate accounting studies in and near Milwaukee can be found as standalone programs or as part of Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs. The following universities are considered the top three schools in Milwaukee for master's degree studies in accounting based on rankings and location:
- Winner: Marquette University places first because of its national ranking and because it awards the highest number of master's degrees in accounting among these three schools. In addition to its master's degree program, it offers bachelor's degrees in the field.
- Runner Up #1: The University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee earns the second spot due to its regional ranking and because it is the largest of the schools when measured by student enrollment. It has several master's-level program options related to accounting.
- Runner Up #2: Concordia University in Wisconsin is the second runner up as it has the lowest graduate tuition rates and online program availability. It is located just 16 miles from Milwaukee. A graduate certificate and an undergraduate major in accounting are available in addition to the master's degree.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Marquette University||University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee||Concordia University - Wisconsin|
|Ranking(s)||83rd for national universities in 2013,
23rd for undergraduate accounting programs in 2012, nationwide*
|N/A||70th for regional universities (Midwest) in 2013*|
|Location||Milwaukee, WI||Milwaukee, WI||Mequon, WI (16.8 miles from downtown Milwaukee)|
|School Type||Four-year, private not-for-profit||Four-year, public||Four-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$17,730 (graduate)**||$11,477 (graduate, in-state), $23,942 (graduate, out-of-state)**||$8,940 (graduate)**|
|Noteworthy||The school offers an Accounting magazine||Offers the David O. Nicholas Applied Finance Lab||Flexible learning options for the MBA program|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator.
Winner: Marquette University
- The school was ranked 24th among executive MBA and 50th among part-time MBA business programs in 2012, according to U.S. News & World Report
- According to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), the school boasts an 80% graduation rate
- Accounting graduate assistants write, research, and prepare the Accounting magazine annual publication sent to alumni and corporations
Marquette's College of Business Administration (CBA) offers both undergraduate and graduate programs in accounting, with the Master of Science in Accounting program preparing students to sit for the CPA exam. Students who have earned a bachelor's degree in accounting can complete the graduate coursework in only one year. Students with only completion of accounting core competencies will be considered; however, eligibility and program length varies for students without undergraduate accounting degrees.
The ten-course graduate program covers major accounting functional areas, including auditing, government, not-for-profit financing or management, systems, and taxation. The program further requires the completion of additional elective accounting and business courses. A thesis and comprehensive exam are not required in order to graduate. Students have access to innovative applied learning and study abroad opportunities.
Runner-Up #1: University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
- UW-Milwaukee admitted 88% of students in 2011, according to NCES figures
- The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board's Office of Research and Analysis selected an accounting professor at UWM as a fellow in 2011-2012
- Program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International
Through the Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business, business majors interested in furthering their graduate education may choose from a variety of specializations at UW-Milwaukee, including taxation, management, information technology management, marketing, finance analysis, accounting, and professional accounting. The 30-credit accounting specialization builds on an accounting and non-accounting broad perspective baccalaureate training. Coursework includes systems analysis, data management, investments, financial strategy and professional accounting.
The 30-credit professional accounting program includes 15 core courses, as well as elective tracks such as financial reporting and taxation. Other programs include a combined MS and MBA, as well as the executive MBA, which offers experience in accounting and analysis, as well as managerial accounting.
Runner-Up #2: Concordia University - Wisconsin
- MBA program is accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education
- CUW's global MBA offers accelerated courses, videoconferencing, and e-learning online options
CUW's global MBA offers 13 different concentrations, including accounting. There are eight required core courses, including accounting and financial analysis. The accounting concentration program requires 39 total credits, including 15 accounting coursework credits. The curriculum offers coursework covering fraud and database management, government and statutory accounting, systems analysis, and public speaking. The school further offers an undergraduate accounting degree and an online accounting graduate certificate.