School and Ranking Information
There are only two schools that offer computer networking programs within 25 miles of Fresno, CA; one is a public school and the other is a technical, private for-profit institute. Based on the number of variety of networking programs available and student facilities, the following school is considered one of the top schools for computer networking in the Fresno area:
- Winner: Fresno City College, a 2-year public college, is located in the heart of Fresno, California. It's networking programs include an Associate in Science in Networking/Computer Technician, a CISCO Certified Network Associate Certificate of Completion, CISCO Certified Networking Professional Certificate of Completion, CISCO Wireless Local Area Networking Professional (LAN) Support Specialist Certificate of Completion and a CISCO Firewall Specialist Certificate of Completion.
School Info Chart
|Category||Fresno City College|
|School Type||2-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||$1,142 (in-state); $6,782 (out-of-state)*|
|Computer Networking Degrees Offered||Certificate, Associate|
|Computer Networking Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||21*|
|Most Popular Computer Networking Degree Level in 2013||Associate (14 awarded)*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||15%*|
|Noteworthy||Was the first community college in California, founded in 1910**|
Source: *NCES College Navigator, **Fresno City College
Fresno City College
- Cisco Networking Academy teaches students how to build, design and maintain computer networks
- Graduates of the CISCO certificate programs can take corresponding CISCO certification exams
- Specialty labs give students a hands-on approach to learning the fundamentals of networking
- Job titles available after to graduates include computer operator, network administrator and firewall specialist
Fresno City College is a part of the California Community College system, and it is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. In the fall of 2013, Fresno City College had a student population of 21,344. Networking programs are available through the Computer Information Technology and Decision Sciences Department.
The Associate in Science in Networking/Computer Technician offers core courses in digital and computer concepts, data communications and networking. It's a 2-year program that also teaches students about computer hardware and telecommunications. There are four certificate programs available: CISCO Certified Professional Networking, Network Associate, Wireless Local Area Networking Professional and Firewall Specialist. Courses covered in these certificate programs cover security firewalls, routing, switching, remote access networks and router theory.