School and Ranking Information
While few schools located directly in Miramar, FL, provide culinary arts programs, students can find a few institutions within ten miles of the city. Many of these schools are technical centers or institutes. Based on ranking, level of study and number of degree programs available in culinary arts, the following university is considered a top school in the Miramar area for culinary arts:
- Winner: Johnson & Wales University is based in Providence, RI, and has a campus in North Miami located approximately 15 miles south of Miramar. It is the largest school in terms of student population and the only private nonprofit school in the Miramar area that offers several degree programs in culinary arts. It is also the only school in the area awarding 4-year degrees in culinary arts.
School Info Chart
|Category||Johnson & Wales University - North Miami|
|Ranking||#65 Best Regional Universities in the North in 2015 (based on main campus location)*|
|Location||North Miami, Florida|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $27,456**|
|Culinary Arts Degrees Offered||Associate's and bachelor's|
|Culinary Arts Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||188**|
|Most Popular Culinary Arts Degree in 2012-2013||Associate's (183 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||46%**|
|Noteworthy||North Miami campus licensed by the Commission for Independent Education, Florida Department of Education|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
Johnson & Wales University - North Miami
- Seven kitchen labs and upgraded hot kitchen lab allow for hands-on practice
- Internship opportunities included in both 2- and 4-year culinary arts degree programs
- Modern combination cookers, pressured tilting skillets and pasta cookers used in bachelor's degree studies
- Students cook with vegetable from the on-campus edible garden
Established in 1992, the North Miami campus of Johnson & Wales University (JWU) offers associate's and bachelor's degree programs in hospitality, management, criminal justice, culinary arts and baking and pastry arts. Culinary arts students can complete an Associate in Science in Culinary Arts or a Bachelor of Science in Culinary Arts and Food Service Management.
The Associate of Science in Culinary Arts program consists of 96 credits that cover food production, European cuisine, baking and pastry, beverage service, international cuisine and meat cutting. Students learn how to purchase and identify products, as well as advanced dining room processes and the fundamentals of food service production. The Bachelor of Science in Culinary Arts and Food Service Management program consists of 196.5 credits and teaches students managerial skills as well as problem solving techniques. Students develop a strong foundation in the culinary arts through coursework including hospitality strategic marketing, food service operations management and food service management systems. They also study ethics, accounting and hospitality law, and are given the choice between completing an internship or studying abroad.