School and Ranking Information
There are only two public schools within 30 miles of Santa Barbara that offer multimedia programs. Based on ranking, student services and level of study offered, the following school is considered a top school in Santa Barbara for multimedia programs:
- Winner: Santa Barbara City College, located in downtown Santa Barbara, is the only public college in the city providing studies at any level in multimedia arts. Students can find a 2-year program in multimedia studies offered through the schools media arts and technologies department.
School Info Chart
|Category||Santa Barbara City College|
|Ranking||Co-winner, #1 Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence (2013)*|
|Location||Santa Barbara, California|
|School Type||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $1,374 (in state); $7,254 (out-of-state)**|
|Multimedia Degrees Offered||Associate's|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||36%**|
|Noteworthy||School offers small class sizes and state-of-the-art facilities|
Sources: *The Aspen Institute; **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Multimedia and Digital Communication
Santa Barbara City College
- Degree and certificate in media arts available
- Studies combine classroom instruction with hands-on training
- School of Media Arts operates in a facility with editing and animation workstations, video production and audio studios, video cameras and more than 150 computers
Santa Barbara City College is a 2-year, undergraduate school serving nearly 20,000 students annually and offering more than 150 programs of study. The college offers evening, weekend and part-time programs, but the majority of its credit-seeking students attend full-time. The School of Media Arts consists of five departments in the subjects of graphic design and photography, multimedia arts and technologies, film studies, film production and journalism. Within this school, the Department of Multimedia Arts and Technologies offers two degrees, including an Associate of Arts in Media Arts, two certificates and three competency awards.
The Associate of Arts in Media Arts program consists of two years of study. Courses include Internet and television media production, 2D and 3D design, website construction, authoring text, animation, digital imaging, audio production and graphics. Students create 2D and 3D projects and complete a practicum or portfolio. General education coursework can be completed online, but multimedia classes cannot. Graduates can work as video production assistants, editors or broadcast technicians. A Certificate of Completion in Media Arts is also available.