School and Ranking Information
More than a dozen schools in the Kansas City, MO, area offer medical assisting programs, including public, private not-for-profit and private for-profit institutions. Based on graduation rates, accreditation and program offerings, these schools are among the best in the area:
- Winner: Wright Career College offers both a diploma and an associate degree program in medical assisting and has the highest graduation rate of the top 3 schools.
- Runner-Up #1: National American University - Zona Rosa has an associate degree program in medical assisting, and it's accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
- Runner-Up #2: Kansas City Kansas Community College offers a certificate program, and it has the lowest tuition rate among the top 3 schools.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Wright Career College||National American University - Zona Rosa||Kansas City Kansas Community College|
|Location||Overland Park, KS (14.4 miles from Kansas City, MO)||Kansas City, MO||Kansas City, KS (10.3 miles from Kansas City, MO)|
|School Type||2-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private for-profit||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$11,640*||$11,919*||$2,250 (in-state); $5,610 (out-of-state)*|
|Medical Assisting Program Levels Offered||Diploma, associate degree||Associate degree||Certificate|
|Medical Assisting Diplomas, Certificates and Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||173*||10*||18*|
|Most Popular Medical Assisting Program (2011-2012)||Diploma (129 awarded)*||N/A||N/A|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time)||63% (for 2009 entering class)*||23% (for 2006 entering class)*||25% (for 2009 entering class)*|
|Noteworthy||School provides tutoring, academic advising and job placement assistance||School offers several scholarship and grant opportunities||Career Center provides resume writing help, job search assistance, job fairs, internship opportunities and other services|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Chiropractic Technician
- Clinical Laboratory Assistant
- EMT Ambulance
- Health Aide
- Home Health Aide
- Medical or Clinical Assistant
- Medication Aide
- Occupational Therapist Assistant
- Pathology Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy Technician
- Veterinary Technician
Winner: Wright Career College
- Some courses in the associate degree program are available online
Wright Career College provides a business diploma and an Associate of Applied Science degree program in medical assisting. The 3-semester diploma program is designed to prepare students for entry-level positions as medical assistants. The 5-semester associate degree program is available on-campus or as a hybrid program. Both programs provide students with knowledge of medical terminology, clinical skills, medical office procedures, anatomy and physiology. Both programs include an externship.
Runner-Up #1: National American University - Zona Rosa
- Accredited by CAAHEP
- Graduates are eligible to take the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination through the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
An Associate of Applied Science in Medical Assisting program is available through National American University - Zona Rosa. Through lectures and hands-on laboratory work, students learn how to schedule patients, manage medical records, interview and prepare patients, perform tests and sterilize equipment, in addition to other skills. A practicum is required.
Runner-Up #2: Kansas City Kansas Community College
- Students complete an externship in final semester
- Lowest tuition rate among the 3 schools, according to NCES
Kansas City Kansas Community College offers a 9-month certificate program in medical assisting. It prepares students to perform a variety of clinical and administrative duties. Some courses include medical professional issues, medical assistant patient care, medical terminology, pharmacology administration and emergency preparedness.