School and Ranking Information
There are only three schools within 100 miles of Las Vegas that offer psychology programs. The following schools are ranked based on program rankings, location, awarded degrees in the field and psychology program options:
- Winner: The University of Nevada at Las Vegas comes in first place as a result of its nationally ranked psychology programs. This schools also awarded the most psychology degrees in 2011-2012 and offers the widest variety of program levels.
- Runner Up #1: Nevada State College, found in nearby Henderson, is the first runner up since it is the only other school to offer a bachelor's-level program.
- Runner Up #2: College of Southern Nevada in Las Vegas claims third place for its low tuition rates and its location in the city of Las Vegas. This school only offers psychology at the associate degree level; however, it also has an online option.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Nevada - Las Vegas||Nevada State College||College of Southern Nevada|
|Ranking(s)|| 114th for graduate clinical psychology programs in 2012, nationwide*,
141st for graduate psychology programs in 2013, nationwide*
|Location||Las Vegas, NV||Henderson, NV (17.7 miles from Las Vegas)||Las Vegas, NV|
|School Type||Four-year, public||Four-year, public||Four-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$6,705 (undergraduate, in-state),
$20,615 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|$4,498 (undergraduate, in-state),
$14,773 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
| $2,700 (undergraduate, in-state),
$9,345 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|Psychology Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's, and doctorate degrees||Bachelor's degree||Associate degree|
|Psychology Degrees (all levels) Awarded in 2011-2012||327**||40**||70**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||39%**||22%**||11% (16% transfer-out rate)**|
|Noteworthy||UNLV maintains over ten psychology research labs||Bachelor of Arts in Psychology was in the top three degree-granting programs at NSC in 2013||Psychology program is available online|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report rankings, **NCES College Navigator.
Winner: University of Nevada - Las Vegas
- The undergraduate psychology major at UNLV is one of the largest on campus
- The psychology department participates in diversity initiatives to promote diversity and acceptance
- For the 2011-2012 school year, 92% of first-time undergraduates received financial aid, according to NCES
The UNLV Department of Psychology awards degrees at the bachelor's through doctoral levels. The UNLV Department of Psychology also maintains an outreach program to mentor undergraduate students wishing to pursue a graduate degree in psychology. The department provides students with the opportunity to join Psi Chi, the international honor society in psychology, and a psychology club. The bachelor's degree program delves into general psychology, research methods, abnormal psychology and social psychology. Students also complete research in five areas of study, including cognition, child development and abnormal psychology. While the bachelor's degree program in psychology will not prepare students for licensure, the school also offers a clinical psychology program that does prepare students for licensure.
Runner-Up #1: Nevada State College
- NSC's Bachelor of Arts program in psychology represented 12% of the 2013 graduating class awards, according to the school
- In 2011-2012, the NCES reported that 87% of first-year students received financial aid
The Nevada State College Department of Psychology awards a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science. While both programs address the principles of psychology, the Bachelor of Science program provides students with more focus on research, statistical analysis and natural science. The program also includes three to four credits in direct learning. The college offers multiple scholarship opportunities for qualifying students. Those who want to earn licensure as psychologists will require further study in the field beyond the bachelor's degree.
Runner-Up #2: College of Southern Nevada
- CSN offers an Associate of Arts program in psychology on-campus and online
- The psychology program at CSN was among the top ten award-granting programs at the school during 2011-2012, according to NCES
The College of Southern Nevada's Department of Human Behavior awards an Associate of Arts with a Psychology Emphasis. Within the department, psychology students have access to 19 faculty members. The 60-credit program examines psychopathology and disabilities, medication fundamentals, therapeutic interventions and abnormal psychology. Students must complete further education to gain licensure in the field, and the college works with UNLV to assist students in planning for transfer to a four-year program.