School and Ranking Information
Within a 25-mile radius of Lexington, there are a number of institutions that have programs in business administration. These schools are regarded as being the top three according to school type, how many degrees have been awarded in the field and rankings:
- Winner: Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond is the top school due to its tuition rates, being a public institution and for how many degrees in business administration it has awarded.
- Runner Up #1: Midway College, located in Midway, is in second place for its degree level choices in the field, proximity to Lexington and small class sizes.
- Runner Up #2: Asbury University, found in Wilmore, secures the second runner up spot for its regional and national rankings given by U.S. News & World Report in 2012, its graduation rate and for the online MBA option.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Eastern Kentucky University||Midway College||Asbury University|
|Ranking(s)||27th among public schools in 2012, national*
61st among schools in the South in 2012*
353rd among undergraduate business programs in 2012, national*
|42rd among schools in the South in 2012*||Fourth among schools in the South in 2012*
Eighth among schools with the best value in 2012, national*
|Location||Richmond, KY (27 miles from Lexington)||Midway, KY (14 miles from Lexington)||Wilmore, KY (17 miles from Lexington)|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees 2012-2013||$7,320 (undergraduate, in-state)**
$16,464 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
$7,920 (graduate, in-state)**
$13,860 (graduate, out-of-state)**
$575 per credit hour (MBA)***
|Business Degrees Offered||Associate's, bachelor's, and master's degrees||Associate's, bachelor's, and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Business Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||214**||106**||17**|
|Most Popular Business Administration Program 2011-2012||Bachelor in Business Administration - Finance (46 awarded)**||Master in Business Administration and Management - General (48 awarded)**||Bachelor in Business/Commerce - General (8 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||37%**||60%**||71%**|
|Noteworthy||Of the three profiled schools, EKU is the only university whose business school is accredited****||Midway College is the only women's residential college in Kentucky, with co-ed options available in the evening, online, and for graduate classes*****||Each year, two to three students are awarded a $10,000 scholarship through the Business Scholars program***|
Sources: *U.S. World & News Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***Asbury University, ****Eastern Kentucky University, *****Midway College
Winner: Eastern Kentucky University
- The School of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- The Bachelor of Business Administration degree has 11 different majors, including general business and management
- EKU has the only co-op and internship program in Kentucky that is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Cooperative Education
The School of Business is a part of the College of Business and Technology. The Business and Technology Center includes a business library where students can research and study. The department of Management, Marketing and International Business has 6 student groups. Assistantships, scholarships, and paid internships are available.
Each semester, roughly 75-80 part-time and full-time students are enrolled in the MBA program. Applicants do not need an undergraduate degree in business, but will need to complete prerequisite courses in finance, marketing and management.
Runner-Up #1: Midway College
- Student to faculty ratio is 12:1, per the school's website
- More than 90% of Midway's students receive financial aid, per the school's website
- Both the bachelor's and master's degrees are available at the Lexington extension campus
Midway College is a women's day college, meaning that classes during the day are only available to women. Both men and women are welcome to study on nights and weekends through the university's School of Career Development. Students are kept with their cohort groups during the eight-week-long blocks of classes.
The Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration has six areas of focus, including entrepreneurship and leadership. Midway gives students opportunities to prepare themselves for the working world with career-preparation services, internships, and mentorships. In order to be accepted into the master's program, applicants must have at least 3 years of work experience.
Runner-Up #2: Asbury University
- Asbury University, a Christian school, puts a strong emphasis on morals and ethics for business majors
- Business degrees in 2011-2012 made up over 7% of all bachelor's degrees awarded, per NCES College Navigator
- New online MBA program as of fall 2013
In addition to the standard B.S. in Business Management track, Asbury University has another option for an undergraduate degree: the Adult Professional Studies (APS) program. The APS program gives returning students who have at least two years of college credit the opportunity to complete their business degree in about two years.
MBA applicants should have at least 2 years work experience and familiarity with accounting and statistics. The cohort-based program only requires students to go to campus for culminating projects and events before graduation. MBA candidates can apply for one of two assistantships, which cover the cost of tuition.