School and Ranking Information
Studies in business management and business administration are offered by public, nonprofit and for-profit schools throughout and near Norfolk, VA. Based on ranking and student-to-faculty ratio, the following university is considered a top school in the Norfolk area for business management degree programs:
- Winner: Hampton University is located approximately 13 miles from Norfolk. It awards a bachelor's degree in business management and a Master of Business Administration. The university has the lowest student-to-faculty ratio among all postsecondary institutions in the Norfolk area providing business management studies.
School Info Chart
|Ranking||#18 (tie) Best Regional Universities (South) (2015); #4 among Historically Black Colleges and Universities (2015)**|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $20,724**|
|Business Management Degrees Offered||Bachelor', master's and doctoral|
|Business Management Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||59**|
|Most Popular Business Management Degree in 2012-2013||Bachelor's (39 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||68%**|
|Noteworthy||The School of Business was the recipient of the National Minority Business Council, Inc.'s Outstanding Education and Training Institution Award (2009)***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator; ***Hampton University
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Actuarial Sciences
- Business and Commerce, General
- Business Statistics
- Customer Service Management
- Logistics, Distribution, and Materials Management
- Management Science
- Office Management
- Operations Management
- Public and Nonprofit Organizational Management
- Purchases, Acquisitions, and Contracts Management
- Transportation Management
- 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- Bachelor's degree program in business management and doctorate program in business administration offered online
- Business faculty have been published in, among others, Journal of Business and Finance Research, Review of Business Research Journal and International Journal of Business Research
With an annual enrollment of about 5,400 students, Hampton University offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in 103 academic areas. The university is dedicated to the education of African-American students. The university's School of Business offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in accounting, finance, economics, marketing, business administration and entrepreneurship studies.
The Bachelor of Science in Business Management program stresses the development of decision making skills and a sense of business ethics. Courses are offered in international business management, labor-management relations, human resources management, operations management and business communications. Business law, finance, economics and marketing are also addressed.
Offered with a concentration in general management, the 2-year MBA program is composed of 36 credits of major courses. Depending on educational background and work experience, students might also take nine credits of introductory business courses. Major courses cover subjects like financial management, world business cultures, information systems development and organizational theory.
Targeting business professionals, the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Business Administration program was begun in 2010. Courses are taken in organizational theory, leadership concepts and strategic leadership. Students must complete a dissertation.