School and Ranking Information
There are several schools that offer business administration degrees in the Charlotte area. The following schools are considered the top three based on AACSB accreditation, degree levels offered in business administration and graduation rates:
- Winner: The University of North Carolina in Charlotte is the winner due to its location right in Charlotte, national ranking for undergraduate business programs and low tuition rates.
- Runner Up #1: Winthrop University secured the first runner up spot due to its wide range of program levels available and vast amount of degrees awarded in business administration. This school is located about 26 miles outside of Charlotte in Rock Hill.
- Runner Up #2: Queens University of Charlotte, situated within Charlotte, received third place for its top-20 ranking among regional universities in the South by and award-winning faculty.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of North Carolina - Charlotte||Winthrop University||Queens University of Charlotte|
|Ranking(s)||Undergraduate business program ranked #87 among national universities in 2012*||Undergraduate business program ranked #309 among national universities in 2012*||N/A|
|Location||Charlotte||Rock Hill (26.5 miles from Charlotte)||Charlotte|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $5,873 (undergraduate, in-state)
$18,402 (undergraduate, out-of-state)
$6,349 (graduate, in-state)
$18,636 (graduate, out-of-state)**
| $13,266 (undergraduate, in-state)
$24,716 (undergraduate, out-of-state)
$12,780 (graduate, in-state)
$23,692 (graduate, out-of-state)**
|$27,576 (undergraduate), $17,518 (graduate)**|
|Business Administration Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees***||Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees and post-master's certificates**||Bachelor's and master's degrees**|
|Most Popular Business Administration Program (2011-2012)||MBA (170 awarded)**||Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (244 awarded)**||MBA (63 awarded)**|
|Business Administration Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||321**||319**||106**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||53%**||58%**||60%**|
|Noteworthy||N/A||N/A||A Pulitzer Prize winner, a Fulbright Scholar and North Carolina's Poet Laureate in the faculty****|
Sources: *US News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***University of North Carolina - Charlotte, ****Queens University of Charlotte.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Actuarial Sciences
- Business and Commerce, General
- Business Statistics
- Customer Service Management
- Logistics, Distribution, and Materials Management
- Management Science
- Office Management
- Operations Management
- Public and Nonprofit Organizational Management
- Purchases, Acquisitions, and Contracts Management
- Transportation Management
Winner: University of North Carolina - Charlotte
- Part-time MBA program ranked #50 among national universities in 2013, according to US News and World Report
- Campus has chapters of Alpha Kappa Psi, a co-ed professional business organization, and Beta Alpha Psi, an honorary organization for accounting, finance, and information systems students
- Business-oriented clubs include American Marketing Association and Graduate Business Organizations
- Belk College collaborates with the Charlotte Chamber, Charlotte Business Journal, and the Arts & Science Council.
Belk College at the University of North Carolina - Charlotte (UNCC) offers a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) degree, and students can select from a variety of concentrations such as management, finance, marketing, and international business. MBA programs are offered at UNCC with concentrations in applied investment management, global business, business finance, and many others. An executive MBA program in Taiwan, a global business MBA in Mexico, and a dual MBA-Economics degree in Denmark are also offered. Belk College also offers a Ph.D. in Business Administration. This program consists of major coursework in finance, minor coursework in economics, and research field coursework in mathematics. Students may also earn a MBA and Juris Doctor (JD) dual degree. Students who have already earned a MBA degree may also earn an MBA Plus post-master's graduate certificate to expand their knowledge on the rapidly changing business world.
Runner-Up #1: Winthrop University
- Ranked #25 among regional universities in the south, according to US News and World Report
- Has business-oriented student organizations such as Master of Business Administration Association, Alpha Kappa Psi, and Beta Alpha Psi
Winthrop University offers BSBA degrees in 13 concentrations, which include accounting, finance, healthcare management, and sustainable business. Students must complete 50-55 general education credit hours and 64-65 credit hours of electives and core courses to complete a total of 124 credits. MBA degrees in concentrations such as accounting, finance, human resource management, and strategic leadership are also available. Students in these programs must complete 36 credit hours, with the exception of the accounting concentration where students must complete 33 credits. A 5th-year MBA program is also offered in all the concentrations, except the accounting concentration, for undergraduates who wish to complete an MBA in one year.
Runner-Up #2: Queens University of Charlotte
- Ranked #20 among regional universities in the south, according to US News and World Report
- Students can become members of Beta Gamma Sigma, the highest membership for business students
- Executive MBA program ranked among top 25 in America in CEO Magazine
Queens University of Charlotte offers a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree with specializations in finance, marketing, entrepreneurship, and international business. Queens also offers a 45-credit hour Professional MBA (PMBA) program with concentrations in finance, marketing, executive coaching, and international perspectives. Students may also earn an MSN/MBA dual degree. Queens also offers the only Executive MBA (EMBA) in the Charlotte area. This 20-month program offers a 7-12-day International Study Tour where students meet with executives of international firms and foreign officials and study a country's politics, geography, and culture. Students in this program receive $4,000 tuition credit for the trip.