School and Ranking Information
While there are no schools awarding public administration degrees within the city of Fremont, there are a number of programs available within a 50-mile radius. The following schools are regarded as the top three according to rankings, school type and tuition:
- Winner: San Francisco State University, located in San Francisco, is in first place due to its tuition rates and national ranking from U.S. News & World Report in 2012.
- Runner Up #1: San Jose State University, found in San Jose, is the first runner up on account of it being a public institution, its location in relation to Fremont and for its regional rankings in 2014 from U.S. News & World Report.
- Runner Up #2: University of San Francisco in San Francisco secured third place for how many degrees the school has awarded in the area of study, its online program option and for being accredited by the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||San Francisco State University||San Jose State University||University of San Francisco|
|Ranking (2012)||87th among graduate public affairs programs, nationwide*||104th among graduate public affairs programs, nationwide*||121st among graduate public affairs programs, nationwide*|
|Location||San Francisco, CA (30.9 miles from Fremont)||San Jose, CA (13.3 miles from Fremont)||San Francisco, CA (30.8 miles from Fremont)|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Graduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $7,706 in-state,
| $8,394 in-state,
|Public Administration Degree Levels Offered||Master's degree||Master's degree||Master's degree|
|Public Administration Degrees Awarded in 2011-2012||42**||24**||62**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2006 Entering Class||47%**||47%**||67%**|
|Noteworthy||MPA has six degree concentrations||Chapter of Pi Alpha Alpha, the National Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration||The school offers both a traditional and online master's program|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: San Francisco State University
- All program faculty members hold doctoral degrees
- Three program-specific scholarships available
- Department hosts Career Development workshops every semester
- The school was ranked 54th among regional universities in the West by U.S. News & World Report for 2014
The School of Public Affairs and Civic Engagement offers a Master of Public Administration (MPA) with six areas of emphasis, including nonprofit administration, public policy, and criminal justice administration. In order to graduate, students must complete a minimum of 39-42 units that include core and concentration courses, management perspective courses, an internship (may be waived with prior work experience), and a culminating experience project, such as a master's thesis. Each student also completes a portfolio of work that can be published online to share with potential employers. The department's career workshops and on-campus chapter of Pi Alpha Alpha provide students with additional opportunities for skill building and networking.
Runner-Up #1: San Jose State University
- MPA courses are available in the evenings to accommodate working students
- Students can participate in Model United Nations, as well as annual trips to the state capital and state supreme court
- Ranked 36th among regional universities in the West and 8th among top public schools in the West by U.S. News & World Report for 2014
San Jose State University's Department of Political Science offers a 36-credit MPA program that includes core courses, electives, an internship, and a final thesis or research paper. Advanced seminar courses offer students a wide array of topics to choose from, including public personnel, urban/community development, financial administration, environmental planning, and law or politics. Students can take internships with local government offices or community agencies, like the Silicon Valley Leadership Group. The department hosts on-campus presentations (past speakers have included Holocaust survivors and U.S. Senators), and students are encouraged to participate in the local community.
Runner-Up #2: University of San Francisco
- Program accredited by the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration
- Priscilla A. Scotlan Career Services Center keeps listings of internship and employment opportunities
- U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of San Francisco 117th among national universities for 2014
The School of Management offers the MPA program through its San Francisco, Sacramento, and San Jose campuses. Students can pursue a single Master of Public Administration degree or may elect to add a concentration in health services administration. Both programs require completion of 39 credit hours in ethics and leadership, policy analysis, economics, organization theory, and human resources. With two scheduling options available, students can choose to take one four-hour class each week or one eight-hour class every other Saturday. USF's MPA program doesn't require an internship, but applicants must have at least two years of work experience.