School and Ranking Information
There are more than 10 schools within 15 miles of downtown Miami that offer degree programs in accounting. The top three, based on graduation rates, school type and program offerings, include the following:
- Winner: The University of Miami, located in Coral Gables, comes in first place for its variety of accounting programs, high graduation rate and multiple national rankings by U.S. News & World Report.
- Runner Up #1: Florida International University in Miami secures second place due to its low tuition rates and number of accounting degrees awarded in 2011-2012.
- Runner Up #2: Barry University, situated within Miami, is the second runner up as a result from being located in the city and for the school's study abroad opportunities.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Miami||Florida International University||Barry University|
|Ranking|| #47 among national universities (2014),
#72 among best undergraduate business programs (2013),
#91 among best business graduate schools (2013)*
|#159 among best undergraduate business programs (2013)*||#234 in high school counselor rankings among national universities (2013),
#342 among best undergraduate business programs (2013)*
|Location||Coral Gables, FL (6 miles from downtown Miami)||Miami, FL||Miami, FL|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $41,220 (undergraduate),
|$6,417 (in-state undergraduate),
$18,816 (out-of-state, undergraduate),
$10,269 (in-state, graduate),
$21,791 (out-of-state, graduate)**
|Accounting Program Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees; postgraduate certificate||Bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Accounting Certificates and Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||123**||378**||7**|
|Most Popular Accounting Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's in Accounting (86 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Accounting (221 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Accounting (5 awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||81%**||49% (6% transfer-out rate)**||41% (47% transfer-out rate)**|
|Noteworthy||The business school offers mentor programs and peer counseling||Study abroad opportunities||Merit scholarships available for students enrolling in the Master of Science in Accounting program|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **National Center for Education Statistics.
Winner: University of Miami
- Student organizations include a chapter of the Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting
- Undergraduate accounting students can pursue an accelerated master's degree program in accounting and complete both degrees in less than five years
The University of Miami offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in accounting as well as a Master of Science in Taxation. Undergraduate courses include cost accounting, business law, auditing, taxation and others. The 30-semester-hour Master of Accounting program has concentrations in assurance or corporate accounting. The school also offers an accounting summer intensive program for foreign students and those who have undergraduate business degrees in a field other than accounting. Additionally, the University of Miami offers a Ph.D. in Business Administration with a concentration in accounting.
Runner-Up #1: Florida International University
- All students who want to enroll in the Bachelor of Accounting must pass an accounting entrance exam
- FIU's chapter of Beta Alpha Psi, the accounting and financial information honor society, has been recognized as a 'superior chapter'
- Fast track option is available for master's degree program
Florida International University offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in accounting. The bachelor's degree program includes courses in financial accounting, management accounting, income tax accounting and auditing. The master's degree program has concentrations in assurance or tax and is designed to be completed in 10 months. Master's degree courses include accounting systems, financial report evaluation, fraud analysis, tax strategies, theories of accounting and information systems auditing. FIU also offers an Executive Master of Science in Taxation.
Runner-Up #2: Barry University
- Internships and study abroad opportunities are available for undergraduate students
- Barry University is affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church
Barry University's Andreas School of Business offers a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in accounting. The degree program includes core business classes along with accounting courses in taxation, cost accounting and auditing. Additionally, Barry University offers a 30-credit Master of Accounting program, which prepares students for the CPA, Certified Financial Manager and Certified Management Accountant exams.