School and Ranking Information
Web design studies in and around Raleigh, NC, are typically offered through graphic or media design programs. The following three schools are considered top choices for Web design in the Raleigh area based on rankings and program levels offered:
- Winner: North Carolina State University at Raleigh takes the top spot because of its national rankings and because it awards the highest number of degrees in the related field of graphic design. It is also the largest of the three schools in terms of student enrollment. It offers a certificate program, as well as bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Runner Up #1: Meredith College is the first runner up because it is the only other nonprofit institution located directly in Raleigh that offers Web design studies and because of its low student-to-faculty ratio. It offers a bachelor's degree.
- Runner Up #2: Based on its regional rankings, High Point University is third among the schools listed here. It also awards the second-highest number of degrees in the field among the three schools. It offers a bachelor's program.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||North Carolina State University at Raleigh||Meredith College||High Point University|
|Rankings (2012)||#106 among national universities,
#51 among top national public schools,
#100 for high school counselor rankings**
|#3 among regional colleges (South)**||#1 among regional colleges (South)**|
|Location||Raleigh, NC||Raleigh, NC||High Point, NC (78.9 miles from Raleigh)|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)|| $7,788 (undergraduate, in-state),
$20,953 (undergraduate, out-of-state);
$8,934 (graduate, in-state),
$20,982 (graduate, out-of-state)*
|$29,186 (undergraduate)*||$39,800 (undergraduate)*|
|Web Design Program Levels Offered||Certificate; bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's degree||Bachelor's degree|
|Web Design Certificates and Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2011-2012||32*||5*||6*|
|Most Popular Web Design Programs (2011-2012)||Bachelor's in Graphic Design (21 degrees awarded)*||Bachelor's in Graphic Design (five degrees awarded)*||Bachelor's in Graphic Design (six degrees awarded)|
|2011 Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time)||72%*||59%*||61%*|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator, **US News & World Report.
Winner: North Carolina State University at Raleigh
- Ranked #40 in U.S. News & World Report list of best value schools in the southern U.S. (2012)
- Graphic design programs accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design
- College of Design provides real-life research and practical opportunities through outreach programs and the Downtown Design Studio
Under the direction of an 8-member faculty, students in the undergraduate graphic design program can receive training in the use of current industry software, motion graphics and typography. Those who pursue the Bachelor of Science in Graphic Communications can take a 3-credit elective in website development that includes topics in design software, site testing and user interfaces.
At the graduate level, the 2-year Master in Graphic Design program includes a course in advanced imaging, with topics in interactive media and website design.
Runner-Up #1: Meredith College
- Ranked #9 for U.S. News & World Report list of best value schools in the southern U.S. (2012)
- 11:1 student-faculty ratio, according to NCES (2012-2013)
- 100% of undergraduates receive financial aid, as reported by NCES (2011-2012)
- President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll (2011)
The Art Department at Meredith University, a private women's college located in Raleigh, offers a Bachelor of Arts program in graphic design. Curriculum requirements include 62 credits of major coursework in the fine arts, interactive design, and typography. The program also allows for electives in, among other areas, digital imaging and photography.
Internships are advised, and past assignments have included those at Lone Wolf Publishing, the National Gallery of Art and the North Carolina Museum of Art. Future professionals also have the opportunity to develop a professional portfolio, participate in a senior project or join the campus-based chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts.
Runner-Up #2: High Point University
- Ranked #1 on the U.S. News & World Report list of up and coming regional schools for the South (2012)
- Study aboard opportunities have included France, Italy, Spain and Switzerland (one semester)
- 3- to 12-credit student internships
At the School of Art and Design at High Point University, undergraduates can earn a Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design and Digital Imaging with 48 credits of major coursework. Through an optional class in Web art and design, they can study authoring and navigation concepts, become familiar with information architecture and learn how to work with interactive media. To fulfill the elective requirements, seniors can also take a Web-related course in motion graphics that includes discussions, labs and screenings. The program culminates in a portfolio-based senior seminar.