School and Ranking Information
Students interested in becoming database developers may choose to pursue a degree in computer science or information technology. Only three schools in the Greenville, SC, area offer such programs. Based on rankings, number of programs offered and available facilities, the following school is the top pick for computer science degrees in the Greenville area.
- Winner: Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina, offers bachelor's degrees in both computer science and information technology. Furman University is a highly ranked liberal arts school with a small student population.
School Info Chart
|Rankings||Tied for #51 in National Liberal Arts Colleges (2015); Tied for #55 in High School Counselor Ratings (2014)*|
|School Type||4-year; private; not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2014-2015)||Undergrad: $44,668*|
|Computer Science and Information Science Degrees Offered||Bachelor's|
|Computer Science and Information Science Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||10**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||84%**|
|Noteworthy||CS majors may use campus servers to host personal websites***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***Furman University
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Computer Graphics
- Database Administration and Data Warehousing
- Web Page and Digital Design
- The Computer Science Department houses student workstations equipped with all software used in classroom instruction, as well as servers and peripheral equipment such as printers, scanners and digital cameras
- Recent graduates have been hired by AT&T, Apple, IBM, Microsoft, and Cisco, among others
- Undergraduates have opportunities to assist faculty with research; past research grants have come from NASA, Apple and the National Science Foundation
Furman University is home to around 2,700 students and 240 faculty members, with 96% of the faculty holding the highest degree in their fields. The university's Computer Science Department offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Bachelor of Science in Information Technology.
The computer science program introduces students to computer science and information structures. Programming languages, mathematics, and data structures are all topics in coursework. Students may also choose to take courses geared towards database management and design.
Available as either a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science, coursework in the information technology degree program is similar to the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. Students complete classes in information technology, database management and ethics.