School and Ranking Info
Within 25 miles of Braintree, MA, students who are interested in acquiring skills in Web design can choose from among nine different institutions. They include four community colleges, three for-profit institutions and two 4-year, private, not-for-profit schools. The second-largest of the community colleges was chosen as the best school for Web designers based upon its career-oriented graphic and Web design programs, computer software training and internship opportunities.
- Winner: Middlesex Community College is a suburban school with a campus in Bedford, MA, about 24 miles from Braintree. At the Bedford campus, day and evening students can pursue a Certificate or an Associate of Science in Graphic Design; a continuing education certificate and courses in Web design are also available.
School Info Chart
|Category||Middlesex Community College|
|School Type||2-year; public|
|Tuition and Fees (2013-2014)|| Undergraduate:
|Web Design/Graphic Design Programs Offered||Certificate and associate|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||13%*|
|Noteworthy||College has an open admissions policy|
Source: *NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Computer Graphics
- Database Administration and Data Warehousing
- Web Page and Digital Design
Middlesex Community College
- Graphic design students train in up-to-date Macintosh computer labs
- Graphic design students build a professional portfolio
- Degree program in graphic design includes a 3-credit field internship
- Extracurricular activities include the Future Graphic Designers of America
Students enrolled in the 5-course Certificate in Web Design program learn how to use Adobe Creative Suite and DreamWeaver software while studying Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), HTML and website maintenance. Along with the award, they receive three credits for the introductory course in Web design. The 30-credit Certificate in Graphic Design program requires basic courses in art appreciation, color and drawing; students also learn how to work with computer graphics, layouts and typography. While the certificate program does not have a specific course in Web design, it does allow for one 3-credit elective. The 63-64-credit Associate in Science program includes all of the same courses found in the certificate curriculum, as well as electronic imaging and introductory Web design.