Schools that offer education and training programs for banking professionals range from community colleges that offer certificates and 2-year degrees in banking related services to universities that offer executive certificate programs for leaders in the banking business.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Banking Related Services
- Credit Management
- Financial Mgmt Services
- Financial Planning Services
- International Finance
- Investments and Securities
- Public Finance Mgmt
Three good schools offering programs related to banking include the University of Pennsylvania, University of Texas - Austin, North Lake College and Central Piedmont Community College. The universities have earned high national rankings from U.S. News & World Report, while both community colleges offer wide-ranging, career-focused training.
University of Pennsylvania
|School Highlight: University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School MBA students can gain experience through summer internships at major U.S. and international banks.|
The Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania was established in 1881 and was the first collegiate business school. In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Wharton's finance programs first in the nation. The Wharton School of Business also has highly ranked accounting and insurance programs. For banking professionals, the school offers a unique 3-year executive program in conjunction with the American Association of Banking (ABA) Stonier Graduate School of Banking that prepares students for leadership positions in banks and other financial service organizations. Students who complete this program earn both a Wharton Leadership Certificate and a Stonier Diploma.
University of Texas - Austin
|School Highlight: Representatives from major U.S. and international banks serve on the advisory council for the Master of Science in Finance program at the University of Texas.|
The McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas was named the best accounting program in the country by U.S. News & World Report every year from 2009 to 2016. Students interested in banking-related careers can choose from programs in accounting, finance and risk management, among other areas. McCombs students have the option to join a variety of banking and finance related clubs and organizations, such as the University Accounting Association, Beta Alpha Psi and the Investment Banking Business Group.
North Lake College in Dallas, TX
|School Highlight: Mortgage banking students at North Lake College at this school can apply for the Dallas Mortgage Bankers Scholarship.|
North Lake College is part of the Dallas County Community College District, which includes seven 2-year schools located in and around Dallas, Texas. This college offers an Associate of Applied Science in Mortgage Banking that covers topics in banking, real estate, government, management and loan underwriting. Business, accounting and finance classes are also part of the curriculum. Additionally, North Lake College offers the Financial Services Professional Certificate, which includes courses in selling bank products and services, a designate certificate and an intern skills achievement award.
Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC
|School Highlight: The school offers a training program specific to prospective bank tellers, as well as notary and mortgage banking courses.|
At Central Piedmont Community College, aspiring bank tellers can take the 48-hour bank teller course. The school also offers a professional certificate in financial services and a mortgage banking program. The mortgage banking program is accredited by the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS) and prepares students for careers as Mortgage Loan Originators. Students take introductory mortgage banking courses as well as supplemental courses in mortgage fraud, reverse mortgages, credit issuance and title insurance.
Top Schools for Banking Related Services
These schools also provide strong offerings in banking-related services:
- U.S. News & World Report ranked Harvard University in Cambridge, MA, #2 among best national universities, as well as #1 for best graduate business schools in the U.S. for 2017.
- Houston Community College in Houston, TX, offers an AAS in Finance and Banking in conjunction with the American Institute of Banking.
- At Miami Dade College in Miami, FL, the business division offers multiple programs in banking services, including certificate programs in banking operations, banking management and accounting applications.
- New York University in New York City, NY, offers top-ranked undergraduate programs in finance, accounting, insurance and real estate, per U.S. News & World Report's 2017 rankings.
- At the University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign, business students have access to unique research centers, such as the Center for International Education and Research in Accounting and the Golder Center for Private Equity Research.
- At the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, 93% of the 2013 Master of Accounting graduates had a job offer by graduation.
At both the undergraduate and graduate levels, students can find strong programs in banking related services at community colleges and top universities.