Many highly ranked schools offer health sciences and services programs, including Johns Hopkins University, the University of Washington, Northwestern University and Boise State University.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Community Health and Preventive Medicine
- Environmental Health
- Health Physics
- Health Services Administration
- International Health
- Maternal and Child Health
- Medical Scientist
- Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene
- Public Health Education
- Public Health Medicine, Treatment
Degree programs in health sciences or services can often be found through university public health departments at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Undergraduate programs are frequently interdisciplinary in nature and can help students prepare for graduate studies in occupational therapy, environmental health or medicine. At the graduate level, programs in health services usually focus on advanced and specialized research in public health. Each of the top universities featured below offers graduate programs in health services. Three were highly ranked by national publications, and Boise State University offers a graduate degree track in health services leadership.
Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD
|School Highlight: All departments in the School of Public Health offer a Master of Health Science.|
Johns Hopkins University was rated one of the top 50 schools in the nation by Washington Monthly in 2016. The university's public health program ranked first in the country on U.S. News & World Report's 2015 list of top public health schools. Each department in the School of Public Health offering a specialized program leading to a Master of Health Science requires four semesters of full-time study and a final project. Students can choose from nearly a dozen areas of focus, including epidemiology, international health and environmental health science.
University of Washington in Seattle
|School Highlight: The school offers both Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Health Services programs, as well as a number of public health certificates.|
This public institution rated among the top 15 national universities in 2016, according to Washington Monthly. The Master of Science in Health Services program is a research-oriented course of study that might include topics in community health, health disparities or other specialties. The Ph.D. program provides training in healthcare policy and systems, as well as interdisciplinary coursework and extensive research in a specialty area.
Northwestern University in Chicago, IL
|School Highlight: The school offers a Master of Science in Health Services and Outcomes Research designed for practicing healthcare professionals or graduates of advanced medical degree programs.|
This private school ranked 12th in the country on U.S. News & World Report's list of best national universities for 2017. Offered at the school's Institute for Public Health and Medicine, the master's graduate program trains the student in sound research techniques and also in how to secure grants for research funding.
Boise State University in Boise, ID
|School Highlight: Boise State University offers a graduate track in health services leadership.|
BSU offers a bachelor's program in health science studies and a master's program in health science. The bachelor's program offers emphasis in six areas, including general health and public health. The master's program three emphases, and students may also complete a certificate in health services leadership.
Top Health Sciences and Services Schools
Other top schools for health sciences and services include:
- Boston University in Boston, MA, offers a dual Bachelor of Science in Health Science and Master of Public Health program.
- California State University in Fresno, CA, houses the Central California Public Health Training Academy.
- Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA, offers healthcare in Spanish as part of Interdisciplinary Health Science.
- Drury University in Springfield, MO, offers a dual degree program with a Bachelor of Science in Health Science and in Nursing.
- Located in Coral Gables, FL, the University of Miami's health science program offers four concentrations.
- The University of Minnesota in Crookston, MN, offers individualized undergraduate programs in health sciences that help students prepare for advanced studies in a professional healthcare field.
Options for students considering a health sciences and services education at one of the country's top schools include different concentrations, dual-degree options and individualized programs.