The schools listed here offer exceptional training in industrial production and are ranked among the top schools in the nation, according U.S. News and World Report.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Industrial Technology
- Operational Research
Those interested in manufacturing may want to consider the field of industrial production. Professionals in this field are responsible for many of the products leaving manufacturing plants and entering the marketplace. Since this is a broad industry, there are many positions to pursue, including industrial production managers and industrial technicians.
Often, employers prefer to hire those with formal training or experience. Those interested in management positions may want to obtain a bachelor's degree or master's degree in industrial production or a related field. Formal training is available at many different schools, colleges and universities. The schools lists here have all been ranked by U.S. News and World Report and offer quality training in industrial production.
Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago, IL
|School Highlight: International students make up 66% of the student body; 100 countries are represented at IIT.|
Ranked at #36 for best value schools according to U.S. News and World Report's 2017 rankings, the Illinois Institute of Technology is home to the School of Applied Technology. Students at this school can enroll in the Industrial Technology and Management (INTM) program. Degree programs include the Bachelor of Industrial Technology and Management, Master of Industrial Technology and Operations, and a BINTM/MITO dual degree program. Industrial specializations are also readily available. In addition, certificates in industrial technology and management can also be earned.
Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, MI
|School Highlight: Henry Ford helped start this university, which began in a Model T assembly plant.|
At the College of Engineering at Lawrence Technological University, students can enroll in undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as undergraduate and graduate certificates. Doctoral degrees are also available. Industrial engineering is offered at the level of bachelor and master degrees. The university tied for 40th in regional Midwest universities, according to U.S. News and World Report in 2017.
Berea College in Berea, KY
|School Highlight: This college was founded by abolitionists and radical reformers.|
Tied for 60th in U.S. News and World Report's ranking of best liberal arts colleges, Berea College was also ranked as the third most innovative school in the nation. There are a handful of available courses to take at Berea College in the field of technology industrial arts. Some of the courses include work learning experience, solid state electronics and advanced power technology.
Bismarck State College in Bismarck, ND
|School Highlight:Trains students in the latest technologies.|
This college was ranked as the seventh best public school in the Midwest by U.S. News and World Report in 2017. The school offers several programs in process plant technology, including professional development courses, a Process Plant Technology Program Certificate and an Associate of Applied Science in Process Plant Technology.
Most Popular Industrial Production Programs
Here are a few more top schools that offer industrial production programs:
- Olympic College in Bremerton, WA, has an Industrial Trades - Apprenticeship Program, where Olympic College collaborates with the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and the Naval Intermediate Maintenance Facility.
- East Carolina University in Greenville, NC, offers a bachelor of science degree in its Industrial Technology Transfer Program for students looking to add on to their Associates in Applied Science degree.
- The Industrial Technology (IT) programs at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, IL, includes weekend classes offered at military installations across the nation.
- Ferris State University in Big Rapids, MI, helps individuals with a technical education who want to advance their careers in manufacturing/production.
- University of Wisconsin - Platteville offers an online Industrial Design for Production program.
- In the Associate of Technology degree program at Millersville University of Pennsylvania in Millersville, PA, students may focuses on eight different technical competencies including nanofabrication manufacturing technology.
- The Department of Industrial Technology at the University of Louisiana - Lafayette uses applied research, latest technologies and real life business practices to train its students.
- The Industrial and Safety Management program at Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, MO, prepares students with a combined focus on industrial technology and management.
- Ball State University in Muncie, IN, uses immersive learning at job sites across the U.S., Hong Kong, Venice and Malawi to train its students.
Though there are a number of colleges and universities that offer industrial production programs, we've profiled those that offer unique training opportunities or have been ranked by U.S. News and World Report.