In undergraduate programs in music industry studies, aspiring professionals can acquire studio production techniques, learn how to book acts or study music theory.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Music Composition and Theory
- Music History and Literature
- Music Merchandising and Management
- Music Pedagogy
- Music Performing
- Musical Conducting
- Musicology and Ethnomusicology
- Piano and Organ
- Stringed Instruments
- Voice and Opera
The four schools detailed below include a leader in university research, a private religious institution, as well as a public university located in the 'Live Music Capital of the World' and a state university. All four schools offer wide-ranging programs that cover both the business and the artistic aspects of the music industry. They were also all regionally or nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
Loyola University - New Orleans, LA
|School Highlight: This university provides resources for students in the Department of Music Industry Studies via music industry forums, classes, guest interviews and internships are also offered.|
Loyola's College of Music and Fine Arts offers bachelor's degree programs and a minor in music industry studies. The curriculum covers topics in financing, law, merchandising and management. Students also become familiar with the business practices and technology used in music production. For 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked tied Loyola as the 10th best school in the South and #12 for best value school in the region.
University of Southern California in Los Angeles, CA
|School Highlight: In order to complete this school's Music Industry B.S., students must successfully complete a capstone project and a music internship.|
The University of Southern California offers a Bachelor of Science and a Minor in Music Industry at the Thornton School of Music. Undergraduate coursework includes topics in music history and theory, along with ensemble work. Music industry majors also study marketing principles, business finance and managerial accounting. U.S. News & World Report ranked the school 23rd on its list of the best national universities, and #10 on its list of the best undergraduate business management programs for 2017.
University of Texas at Austin, TX
|School Highlight: Music Business majors at UT have their choice of studying for nonprofit or commercial purposes.|
UT's School of Music offers a Bachelor of Music in Music Business program. Once enrolled, future music professionals learn how to book acts and promote concerts, as well as study artist management techniques and the basic business practices associated with the industry. For 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked UT Austin's undergraduate management program #5 in the country 2017. The school was also ranked 18th on the list of the best public schools in the country.
Appalachian State University in Boone, NC
|School Highlight: The school offers minors and bachelor's degrees in music and music industry studies.|
Through the Hayes School of Music at Appalachian State University, students can earn a Bachelor of Science in Music Industry Studies with a concentration in Manufacturing and Merchandising, Marketing and Promotion or Recording and Production. This program is the second-largest degree program at the school, with over 100 students. Students learn about recording arts, music technology, management, merchandising and instrument manufacturing. They also have access to a professional recording studio and can participate in a student-run record company. Appalachian State was ranked #9 among regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report for 2017. Among public schools in the region, it was ranked #3.
Top Music Merchandising and Management Programs
These schools also have strong music merchandising and management programs:
- Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA, is home to its own label, MAD Dragon Records, and offers co-op partnerships with music labels.
- At Lewis University in Romeoville, IL, the music merchandising program offers internship opportunities with local recording studios or performing arts organizations.
- Students in the BBA in Music Business program at Belmont University in Nashville, TN, can choose between concentrations in business and production, depending on their career goals.
- At Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, FL, students can get hands-on experience by working on the school's record label, Hoot/Wisdom Recordings, LLC.
- Graduate students in the Anderson School of Management at the University of California - Los Angeles can choose an entertainment and media management track and join the school's professional Entertainment Management Association.
- For 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked tied Jacksonville University in Jacksonville, FL, #62 for regional universities in the South. Jacksonville University's music programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- Anderson University in Anderson, IN, which recently added an entertainment and music business major, was ranked tied for #38 among universities in the Midwest for 2017 by U.S. News & World Report.
For students who want to study the merchandising and management aspects of the music industry, there are comprehensive programs available at top universities.