There are several top schools offering programs in property management and maintenance including some ranked highly by U.S. News & World Report. In addition to the three schools featured here, each offering undergraduate degrees in the field, we'll also discuss a few other top schools that offer education related to property management and maintenance.
1. Cornell University in Ithaca, NY
Cornell University is home to the Cornell Real Estate Council, a network of alumni with over a thousand members world-wide that support the Baker Program in Real Estate. Cornell University is a private university that ranked 15th on the U.S. News & World Report's list of best national universities for 2015.
The university offers a graduate level real estate program through the Baker Program in Real Estate, and a minor in real estate for undergrads. Students of The Baker Program in Real Estate have the option to focus their studies in a number of areas including property, asset, and portfolio management. The property management concentration includes courses in facility management, workplace planning and resort development.
2. University of Georgia in Athens
University of Georgia's library has over 4.7 million volumes and one of the largest map collections in the U.S. In 2015, U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of Georgia as the 20th best public school in the country. Additionally, the university's undergraduate business program in real estate ranked 4th best in the U.S., according to a 2015 U.S. News & World Report peer survey.
The University of Georgia's Department of Housing and Consumer Economics offers a bachelor's degree program in housing with a residential property management emphasis. This major prepares students for work in the real estate, management and housing industries. Courses include topics in development, human resources, social issues and mortgages related to property management.
3. University of Wisconsin - Stout in Menomonie
The University of Wisconsin Stout was the first institution of higher education to receive the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. The University of Wisconsin - Stout is a public polytechnic university that U.S. News & World Report ranked as the 17th-best public school in the Midwest in 2015.
Program offerings include a Bachelor of Science in Property Management. Once enrolled, students develop skills in tenant and employee relations, financing and accounting, as well as acquire an understanding of the legal matters affecting properties. They also develop their own property management plans and become familiar with house leasing and marketing techniques.
Top Schools for Property Management and Maintenance
The following is a list of top schools with property management and maintenance programs, along with some additional information:
- Ball State University- Named one of the best universities in the mid-west for 10 years
- Brigham Young University - Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Curry College - Certificate program in residential property management available
- Drexel University - One of the nation's 15 largest private universities
- New York University - Ranked as 32nd-best national university by U.S. News & World Report in 2011
- University of Maryland - Home to the National Center for Smart Growth Research and Education
- University of North Texas - Named a 'Best in the West' college by The Princeton Review in 2009
Aspiring property managers should look to the top schools with property management and maintenance programs such as Cornell University, University of Georgia and University of Wisconsin Stout.