Top Schools for Psychology
Studies in psychology and human behavior are generally offered by schools' psychology departments, and they can lead to either an undergraduate or graduate degree. Some programs give students the chance to specialize in a particular subtopic within these broad fields.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Behavioral Sciences, General
- Clinical Psychology, General
- Cognitive Psychology and Psycholinguistics
- Cognitive Science
- Community Psychology
- Comparitive Psychology
- Counseling Psychology, General
- Environmental Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Family Psychology
- Forensic Psychology, General
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Medical Psychology
- Personality Psychology
- Physiological Psychology
- Psychology, General
- Psychometrics and Quantitative Psychology
- Social Psychology
Aspiring human behavior specialists and psychologists can find relevant courses of study at Harvard University and Princeton University, both of which are Ivy League institutions that offer awards at both the undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral levels. Undergraduate and graduate programs can also be found at Stanford University and the University of California in Berkeley. Each of these schools was highly ranked by U.S. News and World Report for 2017. Successful completion of a program can lead to a variety of careers, including those in counseling, marketing, business and teaching.
Undergraduate students at Stanford University in Stanford, California, can design and conduct their own studies through the department's Senior Honors Program. In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Stanford University as tied for fifth among national universities. Students have the ability to earn a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. Additionally, Stanford's graduate psychology program was ranked the best in the nation in 2013. There is also a coterminal Masters program available for students enrolled in the Stanford Ph.D. program.
The department at the University of California - Berkeley in Berkeley, California, offers a number of diverse research groups, in fields such as behavioral neuroscience, cognition, and clinical science. U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of California in Berkeley 20th on its 2017 list of national universities. In 2013, the graduate program in psychology tied with UCLA's programs for second place. Once enrolled, students can earn bachelor's and graduate degrees in psychology. The graduate level of the psychology department is organized into different training units where students can explore various aspects of psychology.
Students at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, have the opportunity to join numerous research labs run by faculty members. U.S. News & World Report ranked Harvard University second among national universities in 2017, while its graduate school of psychology placed fourth in the nation for 2013. One of the oldest schools in the U.S., Harvard University offers undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral programs in psychology. Specialized areas of study called tracks are available for undergraduate students to focus their studies.
Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey, houses the Princeton Neuroscience Institute Imaging Center. U.S. News and World Report ranked Princeton University #1 on its 2017 list of the best universities in the country. For its graduate psychology program, Princeton was tied for seventh. The department of psychology at Princeton offers a Bachelor's degree in psychology and a Ph.D. in psychology. Students in the doctoral program can choose between ten specializations, including behavioral economics, social psychology, and developmental psychology, among others. Students may also pursue a joint degree with neuroscience or social policy.
Top Psychology/Human Behavior Programs
Students can also study psychology and human behavior at these top schools:
- The University of California - Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California, has an on-campus psychology clinic.
- The University of Illinois in Champaign, Illinois, offers a psychology library for students.
- The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, provides multiple psychology research labs for students.
- At the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota, B. Frederic Skinner developed his research for Project Pigeon.
- At the University of Wisconsin in Madison, Wisconsin, students can choose from several areas of concentration including: biological, clinical, cognitive and cognitive neuroscience, developmental, perception, and social and personality.
- Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, has extensive psychology department facilities.
Students who are interested in psychology and human behavior can find broad undergraduate and graduate programs at well-regarded universities, many of which allow students to focus on a particular area of interest.