Formal education programs in small business management and operations help students acquire the skills they need to obtain managerial positions or develop their own companies or ventures. The programs can lead to a certificate or an undergraduate or a graduate degree and typically cover topics in organizational behavior, decision making and accounting.
Students can find relevant courses of study at the four private universities highlighted below. Each of these schools was regionally ranked by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
Huntington University in Huntington, IN
|School Highlight: Each year, between 70 and 80% of on-campus students participate in volunteer opportunities.|
Huntington University is a Christian school that U.S. News & World Report ranked #13 among the best regional universities in the Midwest in 2017. The university's business department offers several bachelor's degrees, including a major in music and small business management. In addition to in-class work, students can participate in internships and practicums.
Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, IN
|School Highlight: The school offers more than 80 different majors.|
In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Indiana Wesleyan University #27 among the best regional universities in the Midwest. Indiana Wesleyan offers a Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurship. Once enrolled, students take courses in accounting, marketing and small business management. Undergraduates can also participate in a service learning course or a practicum in entrepreneurship.
Carroll University in Waukesha, WI
|School Highlight: The business faculty at the university has research experience, in addition to experience in the field.|
Carroll University was tied at 56th among the best regional universities in the Midwest in 2017 by U.S. News & World Report. The university offers programs of study in Business Administration, Business Economics, Finance, Management and Leadership, and Marketing. Carroll University also has internships for which students can register.
Husson University in Bangor, ME
|School Highlight: The school offers undergraduate and graduate programs with concentrations in small business management.|
At Husson University, undergraduates can enroll in a Bachelor of Science or Associate of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in management or entrepreneurship/small business management, among other fields. There is also a dual BS/MBA in Business Administration program that can be completed in five years. For graduate students, the School of Business and Management offers an MBA program that includes studies in finance, change management and strategic planning. For 2017, Husson was ranked a second-tier regional university in the North region by U.S. News & World Report.
Top Small Business Management and Operations Schools
Here are some more great schools for future small business owners:
- Idaho State University in Pocatello, ID, offers finance, management, and marketing majors, in which students can choose an emphasis on small business management.
- Johnson State College in Johnson, VT, offers service learning, field research and volunteer opportunities.
- Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA, made The Princeton Review's edition of 'The Best 381 Colleges' for 2017.
- At North Central College in Naperville, IL, students can participate in the Students in Free Enterprise or the Entrepreneurship and International Business Organization.
- At Plymouth State University in Plymouth, NH, certificate program credits can be applied towards a master's degree.
- Walla Walla University in College Place, WA, offers Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management programs.
For students who want to learn about small business management and operations, there are well-regarded universities with strong business programs.